• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fix for 2.9L Intermentant Bad Running - Throttle Linkage

jbawild1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 86 4X4 2.9 Ranger and it has what seems to be a not so rare problem of running rough while at highway speed and/or acceleration for a little while them run good again and have black stuff blow out of the tail pipe. I have been looking for possible solutions as I would eliminate different pieces in the fuel, ignition and vacuum systems. I found a posting on Ford Ranger Forum that have a possible fix that was different and logical, a loose throttle linkage.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/2-9-liter-tech/39806-1986-missing-bucking-solved.html

Check out this link to the post, the guy posted photos, diagrams and a video to help explain it. There is a bar on the throttle linkage opposite of the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) that can get worn and cause "slack" in the throttle body. As the truck is running the slack in the linkage and throttle body allows for vibration and that sends crazy signals to the controller which then will send the wrong air/fuel mix to the motor and cause the engine to run rough. It is difficult to explain where the bar is so the posting on the other forum site is important to read.
I found that mine have a plastic bar on the linkage with a lot of slack, luckily my donor truck in the back yard had a metal one and after swapping them it is already running better. I am sure that finding a replacement can be difficult so if you have a metal bar, a hammer can be used to help reform the mounting holes to tighten it up. Also a spring could be used or I used mechanics wire to help, yeah I went redneck with some wire. Mine is running better and will use sea foam to help it more.

4x4player

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
About 1.5" in front and 2" rear
Tire Size
29x10.5x15
My credo
He who travels faster, travels alone.
Wow, that sounds too simple.
My 88 Ranger has been driving me MAD with symptoms that defy explaination.

I think you have the answer.

I'll ship you a case of beer if it works.:icon_cheers:

jhammel85

That's interesting and worth noting! Thanks for posting this!

Last edited:

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
If you read his later replies it only eliminated the bucking, he says his still had the black smoke and lose of power problem so he gave up.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals