• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throttle Position Sensor conflicting info

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
And I thought I was done for today but another one has come up.

Checked the TPS sensor this weekend and it seemed fine. Provided the proper range of signal and action was smooth and I thought I was golden according to the tech article here http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2009/throttle_position_sensor.shtml

Idle was down at 0.74V and full was up at 4.4V just a hair short of the 4.53V but thought it was good enough especially since my issues are at idle.

Then I found something referring to the screw adjustment stop needed to be adjusted to between 0.9V and 1.0V. Mine was sitting down around 0.74V. The engine was cold so at the time so I thought let me warm it up re-check and adjust it.

It didn't move much cold to hot so I adjusted it for 0.95V. The RPM went up to 2.3K. I figured this may be a result of the computer having learned the prior position. I re-cycled the key. It came down a bit to 1500. Off then on again seemed to make no difference.

Not sure if I am doing something wrong. If I had gotten some bum information about setting it to between 0.9V and 1.0V. If I just had to disconnect battery to reset the learned position. Or maybe there is an issue with the IAC valve which can't adjust thing.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Original .74 was fine, spec is .6-1.0v, the computer does learn min. and max. TPS voltage, but you have allowed too much air in by adjusting the screw.

The screw adjustment is to set stall speed idle, should be about 500-600RPMs with IAC valve closed
The screw opens and closes the throttle plate so increases and decreases idle(air).
It is there to set min. idle in case IAC valve fails, this min. idle needs to be below 700RPM so IAC valve can control cold(1,000rpm) and warm(750rpm) idle

The TPS usually has two screws/bolts that can be loosened, TPS can then be turned to adjust voltage without moving throttle plate

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
That clarifies it, thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals