• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'86 Turbo Diesel Build

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
I'm getting a 1986 4wd Ranger (just got to tow it home now) and I'm planning on sticking a Mercedes OM617 engine in it. I might use a vw TDI engine instead but I really don't want to mess with all the electronics that go along with the vw engine. Called a couple junk yards today to see if they've got the Mercedes engine I want, hopefully they do.

The shifter is prity slopy so probably just worn out bushings. Think this'd fix it?http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/5511-05308635.html?utm_content=DN&utm_term=1983-2011+Ford+Ranger+Manual+Trans+Shifter+Repair+Kit+Dorman+83-11+Ford+Manual+Trans+Shifter+Repair+Kit+1996+1995&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=CjwKEAjwp-S6BRDj4Z7z2IWUhG8SJAAbqbF3aqPlX19EmHDbH644X2QGeR_9bxzSqa-LJYxFkM0yYRoCOmvw_wcB&ad=47362750812

Last edited:

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
Here's what I've learned I'll need to do, feel free to add on.
Notch oil pan
Lift the truck, possible body lift
Remove the Ranger fuel pump and put a filter in place of it
Use 5/16 hydraulic line for the fuel return
Remove vapor return check valves and replace hard-line that goes to the bottom of the tank for fuel return
Possibly add a larger alternator
Use Mercedes oil cooler
Possibly need electric cooling fan
Push button for glow plug
Switch for fan if electric used

Last edited:

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
Got the truck! Going to go pick up a the Mercedes engine for it tomorrow and a new gas tank

Attachments

Last edited:

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
Out with the old, in with the new! It almost looks like someone drilled holes in the old tank. Stuck a new fuel filter in to.
The shifter is really sloppy and I thought the bushing pack I linked in my first post but that's not the right one. I think it has a Mitsubishi FM145 transmission, anyone know what the right part is?

Attachments

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
here is a good option for you, and a stronger 5spd manual trans will go well too.

http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com/product_p/a-mb203.htm

I'm still watching for my supercab donor ranger but I'm looking at an OM616 4cyl and a 2wd ranger.

if you search around here you should be able to find some inspirational pics of 617 conversion.

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
I was looking at that adapter but decided against it because of the cost of swapping the transmission. I can make an adapter so I'm just going to try and use the transmission that's already in the truck. Hopefully it'll hold up to the bigger engine

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
Got the engine! The guy wanted to sell all his old Mercedes stuff so I had to buy the transmission to. Bought an entire an working 300dt complete, except for the radiator, and a couple body panels. All in all it only cost me $350! Going to have to rent another trailer and bring the car home Thursday

And a pic of how nice the tires that came on my truck are

Attachments

Last edited:

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
Here's the parts car. Hopefully will get the Ranger's engine out this weekend.

Attachments

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 ranger 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
That's the cruise control I believe

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
Ok thanks, I couldn't tell what it was being hooked to both the windshield washer fluid and the throttle body.

So I've got a big problem, I disconnected the engine from the wiring harness and forgot to close my (power) windows. When I hooked the truck up to a battery an error light came on and nothing gets power. The Mercedes engine won't be using any of the wiring that I just undid so how can I fool the truck into thinking nothing's unplugged so that it'll be usable with the new engine?

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
Working on taking out the transfer case, what are these hoses? The first pic is from the front of the transfer case and it hooks to the transmission I think, the other one is on the back and I don't know where it goes

Attachments

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
^ Never mind I got it. Couldn't get the rear driveshaft off the transfer case so it was a little annoying to remove but I got it. Got the engine and trans totaly disconnected except for the clutch line which is givinge a hard time. Hopefully the pb blaster is put on ita will have done it's magic by the time I get home from work tomorrow and I can pull everything out

68Mercury250Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
lots of interest over on peach parts.:popcorn:

I'm putting an OM616 into my ranger as soon as we get snow this winter. not sure if I will buy a kit for the smallblock ford bellhousing and put in a T5 or use the stock 4spd manual and all MB parts. trying to keep mine as light as possible and 2wd for summer commuting only> occasional use by my wife to haul the monkees around:icon_thumby:

oilburners has a MB diesel section too. keep at it, its a very cool way to run a ranger!:beer:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals