• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing 2.3 head gasket.

Kamakazi Kay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mark that's a good idea. Thanks. My local JY has like 3 truck with years that would work for me i think.

I also found a two sites that sell remanufactured heads. total cost looking to be in the $300 range. That seems like a pretty good option to me.

WizKid. I live in northern AZ. Snowflake. What would be your asking price?

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I'd go something like $250 for throttle body, upper/lower intake manifolds, complete cylinder head, and valve cover. Shipping on your dime. I'm in southwest pa. I don't have a guess as to what shipping would be. Pm me if you want to discuss in more detail.

Sent from my iPhone

Kamakazi Kay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That sounds reasonable if the shipping isn't too outrageous. Could you email me some pics?? I'll check to see how much that would cost to ship. My email is g.rosskayjr@gmail.com

Kamakazi Kay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I got the new head. Bolted it up to specs and it doesn't run quite right. My biggest suspect is timing. Right now it idles a little low and mid to high range power sucks. Low end is somewhat normal from what I remember. It really has a hard time getting RPM's up. And it's difficult to start. I need to get a new battery but even after being hooked up to a charger and getting normal starting RPMs it just doesn't catch. I had to pull start it with another vehicle to start it but it fired fairly quickly when I did that. I aligned all the markes up at install. Cam pulley with the triangle, oil pump pulley with the diamond and the harmonic balancer with the notch on the timing cover. However I didn't rotate the engine a few times to make sure that the marks consistently line up. 20/20 hindsight. Anyway do these problems sound like advanced timing or retarded timing?

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
could be either way with valve timing. Ignition timing advanced would spark knock...

Kamakazi Kay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
@snake. The ignition timing is determined at the computer. It's non distributor coil pack. So I highly doubt it's off. I think it's strictly valve timing

1993rangerxl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 banger 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
head job

I have a'93 4 banger, having replaced head last spring my research told me that a common problem with the head are cracks between intake and exhaust valves because the opening are so close. Otherwise just make sure all mating surfaces are clean of old gasket materials. I found the egr tube to the intake was plugged up with junk, cleaned it out put back together and idled like crap! Turned out to be bad egr valve. Had ran for years clogged and computer compensated for it.:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals