• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Pulse Damper!

2003 donkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 mazda b300
Transmission
Automatic
Is the fuel pulse damper the same on flex fuel as the gas?
I'm having a misfire at idle. I'm thinking that oscillations in the fuel rail could be the cause? Like fuel pulse damper two stiff two dampen "Different fuel pressure" need help! Thanks

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
check it out on rockauto.com I believe they are different

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Really rare to hear of the dampener going bad. Pull the vacuum hose and smell for gas and see if it holds vacuum, 15-17 lbs. Only thing to go wrong with them is the diaphragm rupturing and passing gas to the intake causing overly rich conditions. More likely plugs, wires.
Dave

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^, not the first place to look for a misfire cause.

I would look at the PCV valve hoses, that is a common misfire causing issue on these years now, the hoses start cracking after about 10 years, the under side of the elbows is a good place to find a crack.

Next would be to replace spark plugs and add a can of Seafoam to gas tank to clean injectors.

Misfire only at idle is usually a dirty injector, not spraying fuel but dripping it, or intermittent vacuum leak, or spark plug misfiring

Last edited:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Is the fuel pulse damper the same on flex fuel as the gas?
I'm having a misfire at idle. I'm thinking that oscillations in the fuel rail could be the cause? Like fuel pulse damper two stiff two dampen "Different fuel pressure" need help! Thanks
Worn valve seats. Do a compression test and a running compression test. Have you determined which cylinder is misfiring?

2003 donkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 mazda b300
Transmission
Automatic
Is this the correct fuel pressure damper xl5e-9f775-ab

I did a compression/balanced test good! new plugs wires injectors/pulse is good pvc hose is good. Valve stems are leavel no broken springs!

2003 mazda b3000 flex fuel vin v
Is this the correct fuel pressure damper xl5e-9f775-ab ?

Thanks for all the help!

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
A static compression test will not show worn valve seats. A running compression test will. Which cylinder is misfiring?

The fuel pulse dampener is not causing your misfire unless the diaphragm ruptured and is dumping raw fuel into the vacuum line.

2003 donkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 mazda b300
Transmission
Automatic
The misfire is on#5 at idle when it flashes a code. But the misfire is erratic! It gradually gets worse while idleing. Most of the time it's there! Sometimes it not all depends how I drive! Is that pressure damper the right one? xl5e-9f775-ab what do I look for on the needle on the running compression test! Thanks I'm all ears!!

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Do a normal compression test and get a number. Then start the engine and burp the gauge a couple times. It should pump up it at least half of your compression measurement consistently and quickly. Then when you snap WOT it should reach your full compression measurement instantly. If not you have valve sealing issues.

You can remove the schrader valve from the compression gauge also to get faster readings but I prefer to leave the valve in and just release the pressure and take several measurements.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2003 3.0l is close the model years of a TSB about a valve seats coming loose and causing intermittent misfires.

TSB 05-26-3
FORD: 2004-2006 Ranger
ISSUE
Some 2004-2006 Rangers 3.0L-2V "Vulcan" vehicles may exhibit:
- Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0300-P0306 and P0316
- Rough running at various RPM
- Rough idle
- Misfire

ACTION
This may be due to an engine exhaust valve seat recession causing a loss of compression.

'99-'03 3.0l engines seem to have valve seat issues as well, although not specific to exhaust valves.
Because the valves turn and the seats seem to be moving as well it produces an intermittent condition for the misfiring as compression changes.

2003 donkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003 mazda b300
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I'm still thinking its the pressure damper! If I touch the rear crossover tube on the injector rail you can feel strong oscillations from the injectors at idle. When I rev the motor the oscillations smooth out and so does the misfire. Is this system super sensitive? 42lb injectors on a small fuel rail. Is this the right part # for fuel pressure damper? xl5e-9f775-ab

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's not the damper if it's only one cylinder with the problem. Bad damper passes gas thru the broken diaphragm thru the line to the intake. Could even be a bad injector at that cylinder. I assume not throwing any codes. No idea at all if that's the right number you have posted, get a picture and compare to what you have.
Dave

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
#XL5Z-9F775-AA looks to be the part number, gas or flex fuel

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals