• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 to 3.0 swap problem

Loboy154

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, my post wasnt clear, I am dropping the older model 4.0 engine and tranny into the later model 3.0 truck.

Planning to Switch both engine and tranny, have both trucks, big question is how to deal with fuel supply. 97 has return from fuel rail and 2000 Dual Fuel has single line to fuel rail. What is the best way to deal with this. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Joe 360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
96 style side R
Make / Model
98 Explorer 4x4
Transmission
Manual
why to the 3.0? can you use the original fuel rail and just change the injectors. since you got both trucks it should be an easy fix.
i had the 3.0 in my 96, its a good motor but i wanted the 5.0!!!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
You will have to swap the entire fuel system. The flex fuel 3.0 uses different size fuel line, different style fuel fuel pump. Most likely you will have to swap fuel tanks as well...

SVT

Loboy154

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Update on Swap- need help

Got the 97 4.0 engine and tranny in the 2000. Engine will not start with either PCM. I get the flashing theft light when I try the 97 pcm.

With the 2000 pcm from the 3.0l, theft light goes off, but it will not try to start even with starter fluid. I changed the fule pump and lines to stay with the 97. Could it be the pcm is looking for higher fuel pressure and is stopping the injetors from working.

Someone mentioned getting around the Pats by using the 97 column- can anyone elaborate on how to do this- is it relatively simple. Or is there a cleaner approach?

Thanks in advance for the help

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Take the cover off the steering column, and tape the correct pats key next to the key cylinder. Then the computer is always happy, as it thinks you are using the correct key.

It's a quick and dirty fix, but it can solve a lot of annoying problems.

Loboy154

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Correct Key

I have the key that matches pats for 2000, 97 didnt have the smart key

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals