• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D30 pinion depth issue.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual

D30 gearing, going to 4.56. Stock, the pinion had zero shims behind the inner bearing race. So i had the 0.060 slinger and 0.020 baffle. When these are put on the 4.56 pinion the pinion is too far in.

New pinion on left, Stock on right.

Stock reads +0

New looks to read -9. If its tight with no shims how will i add 0.009. I hate these d30s...

Any advice anyone? Im getting the 0.030 slinger tomorrow.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Uhm, find a machinist or a gunsmith with a surface grinder and take 9 thousandths off of the oil slinger?

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
are you trying to add that many thousandths of backlash or preload? what exactly are you measuring. You really need to get a pinion depth setting gauge and a dial indicator to do this correctly. you need to start by looking up the specs for your vehicle and find what the pinion depth specifications are, then measure and adjust that, by adding or removing the correct shims. Then you need to measure for preload and backlash. You measure preload with a rotational torque meter on the pinion shaft nut without the carrier and then with the carrier installed. Then you measure your ring gear runout and backlash. you need to be more specific with what measurements you have taken for us to help you.

I also would not recommend having anybody shave thousandths off of your new pinion shaft. Even though thousandths is very small, you will be surprised how much that will impact your measurements on this project. If your pinion depth is too tight, meaning it sits too far into the case, there really is no way to make it work, because its too big for the case. you also need to make sure your ring gear is going to be able to work with that pinion shaft

Last edited:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
What are you trying to measure? Are you sure you are using the right carrier. You need a 3.73 and up carrier. You old pinion has 11 teerth, if the ring gear has 41 you have the correct carrier if it has 39 you need a new one.

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Most of you went way off track. I was asking about the reading on the new pinion about what needs to be taken/added to pinion depth. I know how to read the preload etc.

We seem to believe it says y 2.00 on the 4.56 pinion. Which means remove 0.002". With no shims I cannot remove anything without getting a thinner slinger.

So ill be setting the new depth with a thinner slinger.

How did you come up with shaving the pinion shaft?!?!... people with no knowledge of gears should not post...

You can shave the slinger, but im not going through that hassel when a 0.030 is 4$.

My main question was what does the new pinion(left) say as far as depth changes. we believe it says y 2.00 which is remove 0.002" since the stock was y 0

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The pinion shaft you have posted is aftermarket and has a slinger that looks to be a part of it, sometimes there removable. Because you stated that there were no shims with the manufacturer pinion, the slinger acts as a shim as well. Therefore you would need a slinger that is .009 thinner than what you have now.

You also asked if you could machine the slinger to make it fit, that's where the pinion shaft machining came in. We are just stating what you have said. We're hear to help, but telling people they do not know about gears and should not post is not going to get you anywhere, and it also makes you a hypocrite, because if you knew anything about gears, you would know that your slinger is too large, is acting as a shim, and needs to be replaced with a slinger that is .009 thinner than the current one.

Again, I'm not here to dog on you, just stating facts. We're more than happy to help. But appreciate the advice, if any when it's given.

Last edited:

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, as soon as i read grind pinion i stopped reading it. Seen to many people put in input that have no idea what they are talking about haha.

I got the new 0.030 slinger last night and put 2 0.010 shims behind the race with the baffle(0.020).

Got a pretty good pattern, not enough bl...measured (0.002). So im going to increase BL which will prob need a bit more pinion depth once i do. Well see.

i was told the 11-9 has nothing to do with the difference in depth, its always whats listed on top. Which i cant read haha.

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your on the right track now. What's the Backlash spec for the Dana 30? Also some more advice if you arnt already aware of it, make sure you have a new crush sleeve to install on the pinion, and take special care to not crush it, very easy to crush these if your not careful haha. Speaking from experience in the field. Do you have a rotational torque meter? What was your pre load before you started if you did measure it?

Dugan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1949
Make / Model
Ford, IH
Engine Size
2.9L, 355 SBC
Transmission
Manual
its the dumb xj hp 30 is a pinion shim design ( HATE IT ). I initially do no shims and torque the pinion lightly to about 20 inlb rot torque. Too much will ruin bearings with no shims.

BL spec is 6-10 on yukons site.

But yukon also says the Pinion preload is 12-15in lbs... i know this i way too low as the d30 FSM states 15-30.. damn misleading info. Ill take roughly 20-25 as good, what i always have.

Edit: http://www.drivetrain.com/images/stories/Products/Ring_Pinion/dana_30_service_manual5304-2-1.pdf

pg 41 of FSM says 5-8bl... i guess its spec vs whats considered "ok"

Last edited:

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would go between 20-25 for preload. and anywhere between 5 to 7 for backlash is spec.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals