• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Squeaky Belt

armyrules2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have the most annoying squeaky serpentine belt that needs to be fixed. I have already replaced the belt, tensioner pulley, and idler pulley. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't stand a squeaky belt.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Sure its the belt? The cam synchronizer's are known to make the same noises as a bad belt. Remove the belt and start the engine, see if the noise is there or not.

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you replace the whole assembly when you done the tension pulley? I ask because it's really common for those assemblies to get out of alignment or be sprung. So if you didn't replace the whole assembly that might solve the problem. Hopefully someone comes along with more knowledge of the issue.

armyrules2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks I will try both of those today hopefully.

armyrules2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just replacd the pulley when I did the tensioner I will inspect the rest of the assembly today. I heard that sometimes the pulleys just need some lubrication and to turn off the engine and spray them down.

creekman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
421 SBC
Transmission
Automatic
rub a bar of soap on the belt

RDR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
I heard that sometimes the pulleys just need some lubrication and to turn off the engine and spray them down.
That will only offer a temporary soloution, kinda like belt dressing, or a bar of soap lol. I used to work with a guy that carried sticks of deodorant for his squeaking belt...:annoyed:

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Changing the belt tensioner cured my squeal. Another thing I did, was take a wire brush to every pulley that was grooved. I believe they are: the crank, alternator, a/c and power steering. Rubber from your old belts will tend to build up in the grooves and you will have rubber to rubber contact. I have yet to buy any belt treatment that worked for very long. Don't waste your money on any of them. IMO!! The cam positioning sensor will also make you think it is you belt. If you have the 3.0 v6, it is located at the back of the engine and on the passenger side. Hard to see, but you can listen to see if the squeal is coming from there and not the belt. If you still think it is the belt, try spraying WD40 on the belt, w/ the engine running, and see if the squeal goes away. If the squeal stops, then we can forget about the cam positioning sensor for now and concentrate on the belt area.

armyrules2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Changing the belt tensioner cured my squeal. Another thing I did, was take a wire brush to every pulley that was grooved. I believe they are: the crank, alternator, a/c and power steering. Rubber from your old belts will tend to build up in the grooves and you will have rubber to rubber contact. I have yet to buy any belt treatment that worked for very long. Don't waste your money on any of them. IMO!! The cam positioning sensor will also make you think it is you belt. If you have the 3.0 v6, it is located at the back of the engine and on the passenger side. Hard to see, but you can listen to see if the squeal is coming from there and not the belt. If you still think it is the belt, try spraying WD40 on the belt, w/ the engine running, and see if the squeal goes away. If the squeal stops, then we can forget about the cam positioning sensor for now and concentrate on the belt area.
Won't getting WD40 on the back side of the belt make it squeek more.

armyrules2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Could the cold air or salt from the road have anything to do with it. They salt the roads here so could the salt water getting on the belt have something to do with the squeek.

RDR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
id pull the belt and and check all pullys for play and try spinning them to see if they are smooth and have and noise comeing from them, and yes the salt water could have something to do with it if it has gottin into the bearings.

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Won't getting WD40 on the back side of the belt make it squeek more.
I've done this to stop squeals many times w/ no problems. It is not meant to fix but, to locate the squeal. I had the worlds worst sounding ranger, especially on damp days, and after much chasing she is quiet as can be now. Over use of the spray could cause the belt to slip off the smooth pulleys. Usually the pulley it slips off has a bent bracket or isn't running true and needs replacing. No, it will not make it squeal more. It is not a permanent oiling and will quickly dissipate. WD-40 has very little lubricant.

Last edited:

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
If after spraying w/ WD-40 and the squeal is still there, I'd definitely suspect the Cam Positioning Sensor. You can put a long screwdriver on the metal portion of the sensor and pry gently and the squeal will either stop, start or change in some way or another. What engine do you have??

Last edited:

armyrules2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I checked all of the pulleys all of them feel and sound fine no noise coming from the bearings. How could I check the pulleys alignment could that be causing it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals