• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Doggie When cold

87dangerranger989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
HI, I got a 94 ranger 3.0 auto 2wheel drive with 187000miles I just bought. It runs great and drives good when the engine is up to temp. but when its cold it wont go. I have to floor it and even then it just don't hardly go but if I let it warm up for 10mins before I leave drives fine...Any Ideas where to check? also no cat on truck so its not that

Not sure if this has anything to do with the truck running bad when cold but it does have egr on it and the to hoses going to the pressure sensor on the egr line are rusted off...I want to know if I can just weld the holes closed and run it like that autozone doesn't sell a replacement line...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
no cat could be the reason why in itself.

the cold warm up strategy is programmed for certain conditions...surprised its not doggie all of the time.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's a 3.0, it should be doggy all the time.

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's a 3.0, it should be doggy all the time.
Aw come on now....they arn't that bad!

I have 217K on my 3.0. While I do not break any speed records, the truck runs great; no bogging issues when cold or warm. I even tow a 3200 lb Jayco featherlight camper with it (Florida is flat!).

Have you checked the throttle body for carbon build up? Has it had a basic tune-up done to it?

Don't want to suggest tossing parts at it, but a general clean if the throttle body, the MAF, and mayby toss some plugs into it would not hurt or be expensive (unless you pay to have this done).

I assume you have no CEL codes stored.

I'd also say that the rusted EGR line is not good. I'd head off to a local junkyard and see if you can find one in good shape, or try Ebay. If something is installed, then there's a reason for it; otherwise it would not be there.

ranger nation

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97 ranger 4x4
Make / Model
86 bll
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
stop, dont screw it up yourself, let me do it
just a thought, you r saying it runs fine. but the truck wont go without full pedal, perhaps we are all looking at engine when your trans could be slipping and the mere fact you give 10 mins. or so to warm also gives tranny fluid time to warm,,,,, just my 2 cents

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Test your engine temp sensor, (not the temp gauge sender). Install a CAT and get EGR functioning - don't be a dick.

Charlie Cheap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011, 2016, 196
Make / Model
Ford, Ford, Sun
Engine Size
2.3, 1.6, 2.3, 200
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Be nice, you may need help later!
I had a similar problem with my 94 3.0 on cold mornings. It also was bought used with 227K on the clock and the radio not working. Disconnected the battery to fix radio and now it won't start at all. Pulled it in my shop and checking all vacuum lines, electrical connections and doing a tune-up. It will NOT set any code...I have an OBD-I reader. With well over 20K miles it does not use oil and when warm it ran fine. OKAY...it's a 3.0 so it is not a screamer but it worked. The A4LD shifted a little hard going to 2nd but not bad and once on the highway (I live in the country) it motored along with the big boys. I retired 11 years ago...I'm old...and built street rods before computers. My degree is in electronics so I am not totally lost but I am new to computer controlled injection systems. Any ideas are appreciated.

ranger nation

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
97 ranger 4x4
Make / Model
86 bll
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
stop, dont screw it up yourself, let me do it
does she crank at least ?

Charlie Cheap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011, 2016, 196
Make / Model
Ford, Ford, Sun
Engine Size
2.3, 1.6, 2.3, 200
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Be nice, you may need help later!
Won't start

Yes it turns over but acts like it has jumped time. It spins fast then stops with a jerk as if trying to fire. I can retry and the same happens. Sometime it just turns over but no hint of fire. I tried B12 in the intake to no luck. Will check spark and go through the basics. My problem is the computer testing is totally new to me. My work with computers was running a fleet with OBD-II and usually the code put me in the right area to change a part. If that did not fix...I took it to Ford! My 94 is OBD-I and I have a reader but it will not set a code...!? Before I removed the battery it was hard to start sometimes but always did. I suspected the TPS because I could push the pedal down and release it and then it might start. I intend to keep this Ranger as I always liked the size and look but it MUST run! I put on new tires and I'll paint it, install new interior, shocks, radio, etc. but I hope to complete a separate project first. A 1967 Sunbeam Alpine with a 2.3 Ford and A4LD trans. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

01b3000ds

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
0w20 synthetic oil in the cold helps my 3.0 with 250k start a wee bit easier. I forgot before it got REALLY cold, so I now have to use my block heater to make starts easier. (also warms up quicker)

There's 2 options for you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals