• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5R55e No OD or Reverse

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm working on a 99 4X4 with a 5R55e. There is little to no engagement in overdrive or reverse. I pulled the valve body and replaced the separator plate/gaskets and also performed a TSB update. Still have little to no engagement in either gear. 1, 2, and D (OD off) work fine. From what I've read, there is a one way sprag clutch that might be the culprit. Just looking for some reassurance before I go ahead and pull the trans.

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Yes it is the OD sprag/one way clutch. Very high failure rate. Easy fix as long as no other damage. Was there debris in the pan or on top of valve body when you dropped them? That's a good indication.

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
There were no big chunks, just really dirty fluid. Are there any special tools that are necessary?

yankeetiger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
be as good as your word.
Transman304..is correct OD sprag failure...personal opinion here...while trans is out, get the TransGo/ Gil Younger system correction kit and install it. Also if trans has over 50,000 miles...replace ALL solenoids... The TransGo kit, is not a "shift kit"..its a systems correction kit and works awesome and is proven. And if you want to firm up/ increase strength get 2 of the AB/BB servo's and covers for both bands...Just a MAJOR word of caution..this trans valve body does NOT like torque when bolted down.

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Glad everything worked out! The valve boby has 3 diffrent lenght bolts and if put in the wrong position will cause problems. I torque to 95-100 INCH pounds. You are correct on the kit from Younger,it is a proven kit. Also on the servos you can change up the arm inside the trans for applying bands. They are marked A-B or C. and it changes the ratio of leverage. Just like rocker arms on your engine. Good job!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals