• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TTB Caster off after leveling kit

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought 2 Moog K80109 caster camber adjusters and a few washers from Ace hardware. Added 8 washers under the drivers side coil and 6 under the passenger. As expected the camber was off a few degrees so I threw the adjusters in no problem. Here's the issue. I can set camber at 0 but the best I can do for caster is -2. I took the brake calipers off and I'm measuring off the back side of the knuckle. Shouldn't this work? I should be somewhere in the +5 range........What am I missing?

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Did you make sure you were reading the chart right? The caster set points very from left and right sides of the chart. And make sure that you are setting the bushings properly.

After that, I can say make sure that the suspension has weight on it so it sits at normal ride height. Also, make sure that the truck is level from front to rear to ensure accurate caster meaurements. I used string and a basic line level.

If not, set the bushings to the most positive camber you can and take it to a place with a laser alignment machine and get a printout. That can tell you true values. My measurements were still off by a degree or 2. If the vehicle is TTB, you could let the radius arms out of the bushings some. That would help correct the caster.

Edit: You could also look at replacing the radius arm bushings and the axle pivot bushings. Depending how worn they are, they could definitely be hurting the alignment.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
go for a drive and see if it self centers, if it does and isn't a handful it's probably fine, I bet you have better caster than I do! mine's kind of a handful on the road... I need to make new radius arms really bad...

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the advise guys. I'm leaning toward the surface I was measuring from isn't exactly parallel to the ball joints. Truck is a 96 so TTB but only has 58k miles so nothing is worn out. I did set it for the most positive caster and still get the camber right. Truck drives fine so I guess I'll just leave it unless someone else has any other suggestions.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Lowering the brackets (crossmember) where your radius arms attach down an inch or two should help make it easier to dial in your caster.

Yeah, actually measuring the caster angle is hard to do without a gauge or rack of some sort.
Something you can easily do however is measure from the axle beam (right where the radius arm attaches). Normally this section of the beam should be square with the ground (puts the actual caster angle at around 5° w/zero-degree bushings). If your leveling lift has rotated the beam forward say 2° from being square, you should have about +3° caster angle with the bushing set neutral for caster (adding +1-2° caster via the bushing should get you nicely within spec).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals