• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd spindle lift

DFracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
how hard is it to do this in a garage? what specials tools needed, done plenty of motor work and body work but not often suspension.

mp3deviant721

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l of fury
Transmission
Manual
Not very hard. Just make sure you don't damage the ball joint boots if you are reusing the ball joints.

2004xlmiller

March 2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
its best to put in nwe ball joints while everythings torn apart. i wanna know what else has to be said cause im contemplating doing this. subscribed.

DFracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i was planning on replacing the ball joints no matter what they make a little noise when its cold. but mainly does it require any special tools or can i do t with my average joe tool box

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
If it is like installing a new spindle then you only need a tuning fork, impact is nice but not neccessary, socket set 1/2" drive, pb blaster, jack and jack stands, basic tools to get cotter pins off, maybe a touque wrench,not sure on ball joints . I replaced a spindle and there were only a upper and lower ball joint,1 tie rod end, brakes, wheel bearings. Pretty easy ,yours may be rusted so spray them down and dont use impact on the pinch bolt for upper ball joint, If you want to install a leveling kit also you may want adjustable castor and camber bushings. Takes a day if its nice weather. I am talking about a replacement spindle not a drop one so maybe its a little different.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
sorry mine is alot older and different than yours.

Cody Ray

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Make sure that the lower control arm has a jack supporting it. Once that upper control arm lets go of that spindle the spring is gonna force all that weight downward and could really hurt you. Seen pictures of a guy that had the front of his shin just torn up by a lca . I also like to chain the spring to the frame just in case it decides to come flying out. If it isn't apparent I am a safety freak. I'm the guy with safety glasses and steel toed boots.

DFracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If it isn't apparent I am a safety freak. I'm the guy with safety glasses and steel toed boots.
nothin wrong with that man, people can just be lazy, hell im guilty of it as anyone.

but thanks for the answers guys

theycallme1016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well since this is for a spindle lift i have a question for when i eventually have the money to do mine. when doing the spindle lift you need after market wheels because you need to change the backspacing. here is the question. if you change all the wheels to a 3 3/4 backspacing as recommended wouldn't the front differ from the rear in overall width because the rear backspacing wasn't changed from stock. and if that is the case you would have to buy two different pairs of wheels or no. just wondering, this makes sense in my head but i could be wrong.

theycallme1016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
never mind fabtech answered my wheel question. they said the front will be wider and it is supposed to be to eliminate over steer but i just dont like the look of it when is wider in the front.. anyone care to comment on the over steer part of this, is it that big of a deal to even out the width.

Optimax250

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Spindles off craigslist

First time poster here, long story short I got a pair of spindles off craigslist. There's no serial numbers. It just raised letters that say "ranger Lp", IV read about having to grid alittle on the LCA TO get your steering radius back. Unlike my old spindles the rounded part Around the ball joint of the control arm sits super tight inside the spindle and looks like I have to grind all the way about the lower ball joint are on the LCA, not just not just grind a little off each side for steering radius . Anyone have this problem. ? Spindle add said for 2004 -2010 3" spindle lift coil sprung only. I'll post pics in the morning. How much grinding in the LCA and the spindle is too much grinding?

Spindles

nustabut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Spindle lift 2001 2.5 2wd

Hey, i know this is kinda a bump, but i was wondering if you had any issues with your spindle lift, as i am looking into doing a 4" spindle lift on my 2.5... from what i understand so far from cruising the threads is to grind down the LCA and replace the ball joints, is that all that is required for this, or do i need to get coil spacers as well, or is there no need to replace the coil or add spacers?

thanks for the help guys :D

DFracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
not sure who makes a 4" spindle lift for the rangers, i only know of a 3" lift, however i wouldnt suggest a coil spacer, but you can get a 2" lift coil as well will bring you to 5" with a 3" lift spindle. depending on you mileage i would replace the lower ball joint while you have everything apart.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals