• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 ranger radio install issues

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Like the title says i put a new radio in my truck to replace the old audiovox that was in it. The wiring that was powering the old radio was sketchy. But it worked. When i put in the new radio i found a good power and switched power source. Now since then my dash lights do not work and my headlights arent as bright as before. And also the radio doesnt keep its memory. I dont know if i tapped into the wrong wire or what.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Without being there to see it, we can't really say for sure what you did wrong. But you definitely did not find "good power". If truck was originally built with a radio, then the right power wire should have been there when you removed the old radio.

At the top of this website is a button for "tech articles". Click on that and then click on the link for wiring diagrams. What you need is there - for radio wiring AND for fixing what you messed up with the lights circuits.

Your new radio may require several power sources. One for main radio power, which should come from a source that is turned on&off by the key, then maybe another source for dimmable backlighting which can come from the instrument panel lighting circuit, then maybe a third source "always on even with key off" for radio memory. Your new radio should have a diagram to tell you what you need. Then just match that with the diagrams in the tech articles here.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
the truck came from the factory with no radio. its a base model truck. I will take a look at the tech section and check my power sources I tapped into. I could re wire it to the way the old radio was. it worked fine that way and had no issues

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
Did your old deck have a dash light circuit? Not common, but many decks have a dimmer or dash light brightness matching feature.

I am 100% certain that your new errors are a result of a botched install.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
D0 you have the owners manual for your truck? If so, it might tell you which fuse position(s) would have fed the radio if the truck had been built with one. Owners manuals often give info for models with various options. That fuse position is probably empty, but the connector for the supply side of that position may be there and powered, ready to use.

If that is the case, You may be able to use a device like THIS to power your new radio from the fuse block. That could save you from having to dig through the wires under the dash.

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
I found out the dash light issues. Its a newbie mistake. I had the dimmer all the way down. Lol. But i do still have the problem where the radio doesnt keeps its memory.

And i actually do have the original owners manual. I never thought to look in it for fuse positions.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You should have two power wires going to the new radio. One with constant power (yellow on the new radio's harness), and one with switched +12v (red on the radio harness). Check the yellow wire with a meter and verify that it's not switching off when the key goes off. If it is, find a true constant wire to use.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
On this model year it is similar to the 88 wiring on the inside of the cab...I often used the cigarette lighter fuse for things that needed power when the key was off...most other things are paired with more critical stuff like lights so I stayed away from those...

There is also the option of simply adding a power and fused wire to the mix...but that means running wires...with the shortest route being through the firewall on the passenger side under the heater box...should be an opening there with easy access to the radio without tearing the dash apart.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals