• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Coyote Ugly:97 Ranger build

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not sure on the spacing of the axle mounts. I think mine are angled out 5 degrees of I remember right. I built it three years ago so I am a bit vague on the details

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I angled mine at 5* too, figured that looked pretty close, maybe I'll slot those too .

Update though, she now has matching tires and wheels! Picked these up for $80

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not huge progress but as far as getting it driveable daily... it was all I needed. Been pre occupied with trying to get my CDL so I can get out of landscaping altogether.

Replaced the tailgate handle internals to get away from this redneckedness

Replaced the radius arm bushings and passenger bracket

Previous owners had 2" spacers for front lift... and washers for shock spacing. lol

Destroyed my coils. Notice how the coil is inside itself?

This is standing straight up.

Also did the fuel filter, basic tune up, and fixed the drivers side front fender a little bit better.

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Been busy target and range shooting a lot so I haven't been working on the Ranger. My wife and I got our Magazine Madness mags from Springfield for our 9mm's.

Now back to my regularly scheduled build. I hammered out the driver front fender as much as possible and didn't need any filler. Not that I'd use any anyways because trail truck.

Then I stripped it to start painting. Its gonna be Ultra flat Sand in the long run, then bedline the flares and lower bodyline.

Progress of truck shows in this side by side

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
those springfields are the shit. i shoot one, and i really like it. theyve got good balance compared to alot of the others, and there pretty damn accurate if you can shoot straight. popped a bunny in the head at 30 yards with one.

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love it. I had the Springfield XD 40 and it was off balance and too powerful for a carry/target gun. I switched to the Mod 2 9mm and it's night and day. Your hand sits higher on the grip and with the shorter barrel it's perfect

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Coyote Ugly be looking all fly and shit with a single color paint job. It's rattle can but she don't care. Lil tougher from body line down with bedliner. Almost road ready so I can stop driving the Subaru Forester

Parting shot for now

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like it. If I ever paint my truck I am thinking the same color.

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks bud, after looking over your thread and a few others I decided to trash the D30 idea, go straight to 44. Semi rare to find decent axles here for under 1000 so I'm gonna keep my eyes out. In the meanwhile, I'm gonna look at building a bed like yours or Grunizzles. Looking to focus on the basics of rock crawling. Approach, breakover, departure and protection. Then I think over axle under engine like Clampy will work out for me.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wish I would have started with a 60 for the front. Though so far sense going to alloy shafts and warn premium hubs I haven't broke anything. I have wheeled alot but probably not as hard sense I did the alloy shafts.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Nice color choice. It does make it look like you need a 20mm cannon mounted in the bed though. :icon_welder:

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats coming later on, haha. Nah but I am building an AR to match my truck in due time.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Thats not right. This is a Ranger. All the gun toting mini trucks I've ever seen were Toyotas.
Toyota is the official truck of the Taliban. And maybe Isis...

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm changing the game!

So I've come across a 79 Quadravan frame, low pinion 8 lug Dana 44 front and I think a 60 rear(?) are they fairly strong?

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'm changing the game!
Outstanding!

So I've come across a 79 Quadravan frame, low pinion 8 lug Dana 44 front and I think a 60 rear(?) are they fairly strong?
As Dana 44's go they're strong but I wouldn't recommend using a low pinion version as they use a closed knuckle. Ford used these axles until 1977.5 (mid year they changed to open knuckles and high pinion.) http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_2.htm
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Dana44.shtml
A Dana 60 is a stout front axle and an adequate rear axle.
If you're gonna build a rock crawler a 60 rear is probably okay if it has a decent spline count. Earlier ones were coarse spline and lockers are hard to come by.
I'd suggest finding a better front axle.
(I've been where you are. Believe me. Your life will be easier if you start with at least a high pinion 44. A 60 would be better yet. Starting with mediocre axles is a good way to waste money. The 44 from a Bronco or F150 also has the advantage of being easier to swap into a Ranger based vehicle than, well, anything.) Note early Bronco's are low pinion, open knuckle, drum brakes until 1976.
Bolt one in: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-early-bronco-style-solid-axle-swap.236289/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals