• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Phantom Headlights!! WTF???

PimpRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 ranger 2wd xtend cab 3.0 auto. Two nights in a row now, my headlights only both turn off at the same time. 2-3 seconds later they go on. 2-3 seconds later they go off!!! This keeps happening until I shut the truck for 5-10 mins and it seems to be ok. I do not have HIDs, only cheap bulbs, but this couldn't possibly be the culprit. Any help is appreciated.:annoyed:

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 ranger 2wd xtend cab 3.0 auto. Two nights in a row now, my headlights only both turn off at the same time. 2-3 seconds later they go on. 2-3 seconds later they go off!!! This keeps happening until I shut the truck for 5-10 mins and it seems to be ok. I do not have HIDs, only cheap bulbs, but this couldn't possibly be the culprit. Any help is appreciated.:annoyed:
sounds like a grounding issue possibly, like you're driving and the ground wire gets bumped around and becomes ungrounded so they turn off.

check fuses, and scan around for your ground wires. if any insulation is missing, replace them. if it's corroded, replace them. if it's brittle, replace them. if you ever plan on doing any HID's or any sort of upgrade, or even if you just feel like it, replace them with higher gauge.

good luck:icon_thumby:

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
If the timing is steady, check the main headlight circuit breaker (usually an auto reset breaker). You can trace to the breaker by listening for the "click" as it cycles on and off. And as said previously, this is usually caused by grounding issues. It also usually also burns up the circuit breaker.

Nater

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Mine are also having the same type of issue, but usually happend when I turn my high beams on....Turn the high beams on and the headlights go off, but as soon as I turn them off, the headlights still stay off. Very random though.

Nater

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Bumping this cause it did it to me again last night on my way home....the headlights just turned off....Park lights remained lit. I tried to turn off all lights, and turn them back on a couple of times, but the headlights still remained off....so I turned my aux lights on so I could see, and all of the sudden the headlights came back on....

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
A few years ago, the C/V and Mercs. were having issues like this, and it ended up being the headlight switch was overheating due to being faulty. New switch solved the trouble.

TomJenks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you checked your relays for the headlights? On a couple Ford Escapes I've worked on, for some reason the relays had worked themselves loose. Just needed pushed back down. Probably not it, but it would be a simple check.

Nater

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It is weird...since installing the HIDs, I have not experienced it any more...

bstang

Reaction score
Make / Model
2007 4dr sport
Engine Size
4.0 l
Transmission
Automatic
It`s your head light switch over heating,get a new one and your lights will be good.Had the same problem with a 1991 Ranger.

Last edited:

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
Here's one, is your parking brake foot pedal loose? Mine doesn't go up all the way and the lights stay off unless it is fully released. I see you're in Canada like me which means you DRL's are ran through that circuit. Check the switch for the P-brake up there and next time you release your parking brake pull up on the pedal, hold it up, then let go of the release lever and tell us how the lights behave.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals