• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking For Someone To Do V8 Swap

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Hello, so as the title says I am looking for someone in MA/NH area (I'm currently in Haverhill, MA) who has experience or can do the swap?
Right now I am talking to Enhances Street Performance and have linked them to some V8 build threads here and discussed what I want out of this. I basically want to keep AC, maintain 4x4 of current Ranger or get a BW4406 installed with the axle for a beefier front end. I plan to lift it at some point or go with a Prerunner setup (though I expect the rust belt would destroy one), or preferably an SAS.
I now work 2 jobs and this has become something I can get done now. I currently drive a V6 Exploder and am tired of having too much room inside. Much easier to heat a Ranger's cabin. Plus I miss power Exploder seats that is install myself again, except this time reupholster in black leather.

So this is what I'm looking at.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/4914079417.html

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not close to you, but I'll give you some pointers as my shop has done about a dozen. The donor you listed I wouldn't get. I don't look at anything over 200k on the odometer unless you plan to rebuild. Also, look at what fuel system your ranger has (return or returnless), and get the matching setup (96-97 for return, 99-01 for returnless, don't get a 98 for a donor)...

SVT

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I currently don't have either vehicle. My current v6 Explorer at 155k miles will be sold and I will register the Ranger before I get the swap done. I do plan to rebuild the engine, which is why I wasn't worried about miles.

Why would a 98 be a bad idea? I plan on getting 99-01 for a return less setup. What I don't fully understand exactly is how much of a pain it would be if the Ranger was 01+ and had VSS in a different part than the 99-01 Explorer.
It will be a daily driver and AC will have to be maintained.

What does your shop generally charge for these as a ballpark figure? Just curious how much I should have available. I'm clearing about $10k this month and wanted to get as much of a jump start on this as possible.
I have no experience with getting an engine rebuilt. I assume if the shop specializes in engine swaps, they would also rebuild engines so I could have them do it at the same time.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I'll have to find new power seats, center console, and everything else I had in the old 1999 Ranger. My wife had it towed on me back in 2012/13. Fun.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
98 is the changeover year, so more wiring needs to be done. 01+ ranger's wiring changed, mainly for the way the AC system is controlled, and the starter system. I normally charge about $1k in labor for the swap and related wiring. To do a rebuild on the motor, price could vary depending on extent of the build. The total could be done for around $5k, plus the price of the ranger and donor, depending on local shop's prices...

SVT

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Wish you were closer SVT...for a grand Id have my 88 over there in ten minutes, let me put some shoes on lol.

Bilzy my swap was supposed to be a simple 5.0 HO with a c4 tyranny and has quickly turned into building a motor, having a C4 built to handle it, swapping axles, suspension lift, restoring everything. About 4 times the price I initially planned on. It becomes addictive....FAST.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
This is what I looked at today. No rust where it matters like inside the doors. Inside is darker than usual which appeals to me. Usually have a hard time finding a ranger with a non almost white interior.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/4950824816.html

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Wish you were closer SVT...for a grand Id have my 88 over there in ten minutes, let me put some shoes on lol.

Bilzy my swap was supposed to be a simple 5.0 HO with a c4 tyranny and has quickly turned into building a motor, having a C4 built to handle it, swapping axles, suspension lift, restoring everything. About 4 times the price I initially planned on. It becomes addictive....FAST.
I just did one for a guy that lives in chicago (8 hours away one way), thats what trailers are for :D
This is what I looked at today. No rust where it matters like inside the doors. Inside is darker than usual which appeals to me. Usually have a hard time finding a ranger with a non almost white interior.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/4950824816.html
Thats not a bad price for that truck. I'd offer $2k cash...

SVT

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
That's the plan, offer $2k and see what happens. All parts that have rust are replaceable so I'm not worried. I love the interior color. I've never seen a non FX4 with anything darkish like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals