• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 Ranger 3L Power Steering Delete

mctavish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone. I was going to put my power steering rack in today and found out I need a new pump ( bearing is going, pulley wobbles a bit) but I have to get it ordered and put it in next week . I found if I could delete the pulley the belt is 7 3/8 " shorter. Has anyone done this and found a close belt size or number? Thank you for your time.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Deleting the PS on a 98+ Ranger is all but impossible because manual steering was never an option on those years and so there is no non-power rack available.

Some in and out play on the steering pump is normal. Quite a bit actually. Unless you have up and down play your bearing is probably fine.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Hi everyone. I was going to put my power steering rack in today and found out I need a new pump ( bearing is going, pulley wobbles a bit) but I have to get it ordered and put it in next week . I found if I could delete the pulley the belt is 7 3/8 " shorter. Has anyone done this and found a close belt size or number? Thank you for your time.
the part number on most belts contains the number of ribs and the belt length, in either millie meters or inches.
measure your belt, see if the numbers match. if they do, subtract the 7-3/8 inches, or 188 mm, and get the closest size that matches.

by the way, you don't want to drive without power steering.

Perry

mctavish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks everyone. I think I can leave the pulley intact until I get the new pump.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals