• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C blows hot air. Need help

sxrider756

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 1998 ford ranger has an A/C issue. It does not blow cold air when the max a/c is on or a/c. The heater works fine and if its cold outside i can get cold air through the vents. The compressor turns on but no cold air. Also, my foot vent is stuck open. Even in the off position air still comes in through the foot vents. Also in the off position, i can control how hot the air coming in is which is confusing since it is switched off... Any help would be greatly appreciated! Its starting to warm up and I am tired of having a sweaty back...

sxrider756

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also, it is a 2.5 if that makes a difference

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Of course you can still switch the temp with it off. The off is only for the blower. Completely normal.

Defrost/floor is the default position, which is where it will go when turned to the off position if your "off" is on the position knob and not the blower speed knob, because it will block the vacuum lines do the mode doors. With the doors defaulted and the recirulated air door open you will naturally get some air flow as the vehicle moves, also completely normal.

As for the cold A/C issue, how can you be sure? It's January.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
My 1998 ford ranger has an A/C issue. It does not blow cold air when the max a/c is on or a/c. The heater works fine and if its cold outside i can get cold air through the vents. The compressor turns on but no cold air. Also, my foot vent is stuck open. Even in the off position air still comes in through the foot vents. Also in the off position, i can control how hot the air coming in is which is confusing since it is switched off... Any help would be greatly appreciated! Its starting to warm up and I am tired of having a sweaty back...
Does your compressor click on or off? Have you tried checking the refrigerant pressure/charge?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals