• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rewired whole truck, need help with signals/brake lights

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A while back I gutted my entire truck and was going to dedicate it to a off road only vehicle. Well now I have decided to make it streetable again and I am just finishing up wiring up all the exterior lights headlights, turn signals etc. I'm all done except for the brake lights. I can't figure out how to make them work in unison with the turn signals. I'm pretty sure if I wire them up how I thought they were supposed to go I will have a working brake like and hazard lights any time I hit the brake pedal with the turn signal on.

I have been following the diagrams I found in the tech articles but even though they show me exactly what I need I can't read a schematic any further than switches, lights and wire color.

Here is a pic of what my turn signal switch looks like. Bottom wire is power in, two sides terminals are left/right. The way I was going to run it for brake light was power to brake switch, to one of the turn signal power outs, with a jumper to the other turn power out. But I'm pretty sure that will void out the left right switch.

Any help is appreciated and I'm sure you'll need more info so just let me know what you need.

Thank you.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
blinker/brake

if i am understanding what you are trying to do, i am far from an electric engineer but am pretty sure for what you are trying to do with out wiring in a separate blinker is have the brake hot wire running thru the blinker switch and physically disconnect that side brake hot and have it run thru a blinker seloniod.

it might be easier to wire in yellow blinker separate from the brakes.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not fully comprehending what you're trying to lay down for me.

One other thing I thought about was running two leads from the brake switch to the signal outs with a transistor (i think) in line to use as electrical check valve.

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i think we are on same page. for blinker to work the constant hot for the brake peddle has to be disconnected otherwise when you turn the blinker on the constant power from brake switch would keep blinker on constant.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I'm understanding what you mean now. Run the brake constant through the signal switch so that whenever I pull the switch it breaks the constant for whichever turn signal is on.

I'll have to draw it all out on paper so I can't picture how that needs to be done and if the switch I have can be used in that manner.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've come up with a solution today. Its kinda the half assed way out but it'll be fine for me. I'm just going to utilize a red bulb in the back up light socket and use it for turn signals while the other bulb gets used for brake and tail lights. That keeps everything working on separate circuits and my head on straight.

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm just going to utilize a red bulb in the back up light socket and use it for turn signals

check with local laws but you might have to make it yellow. in cali i think if they are separate the blinker has to be yellow. dont want to give them a reason to pull you over.

YungICY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll definitely double check but here in utah I believe rear blinkers have to be either red or amber doesn't matter which. Plus my truck is an 85 and registered as a vintage/antique which basically almost cuts me out of having to conform to a vast majority of the vehicle code laws.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals