• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to the Ranger and new to the forum- need some experienced advice.

Dustin099

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, names Dustin and I'm in the market for a new car, as you may have guessed a Ranger. I've been looking for something in the 4500 to 6000 dollar range, under 100xxx miles, with the extended cab, a 5 speed manual, V6 (3.0 or 4.0) and if all stars fall into place- the color would be black.

I think I may of found the perfect truck today- http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/1824704983.html

I took a test drive today (first time driving a ranger) and here is what I found-

Cons-

When you turn the wheel you hear a slight whiny humming sound, the seller said the dealer ship quoted him $400 to fix it (he things its cv joints). I thought it sounded like a dieing power steering pump, but can't be sure.

The plastic passenger seat recliner handle is snapped off, looks like some serious glue could fix it, maybe.

The hood latch has to be pulled really hard to get the hood to pop open.

Pros

The lift on the truck is awesome, he called it a "California Lift" because the front sits a little higher then the back, anyone ever heard of this?

He "claims" the engine was recently rebuilt but lack paperwork to prove it- he also says the clutch and brakes are band new.

So what do you guys think? I appreciate in advance your advice :icon_cheers:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
well she dont have a lift kit. he just turned the bolt on the torsion bars to jack up the front. i would let that down a bit first as it stresses your suspension if its up to much. 2" is plenty.

that whining noise you here is probably just the normal power steering pump on all ford trucks

Dustin099

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Boggin for the info on the faux lift- do you think the truck is a good buy?

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
what condition are the tires in? did the clutch feel spongy or soft? if all is well and she is in really really really good shape. $6k might be ok. but im speaking from Newfoundland, Canada where everything gets rusty and a good rust free vehicle is worth more than it might be in say, california or florida

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Offer him $5500.

On paper, it sounds good, but I'd need some pics to say for sure.

You're come to the right place when it comes to Rangers.

BTW, here's some fair warning: Once you own a Ranger, everything else doesn't quite fit you.

Dustin099

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would say they have about 40% of their tread on them.

And as to the clutch that's a good question- I don't how to put in terms of spongy or soft. My last car was a small Suzuki (2007) and with that car the clutch would catch when released about 50% this truck has a way different feel- the clutch would catch at about 80% released. When I first caught in it I put it reverse and let out the clutch and I wasn't moving didn't realize I had to let it so much more then my suzuki.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If it's a 3.0 that's not that bad, if it's a 4.0, I'd guess he didn't put a new clutch in recently.

That "cali lift" does kinda look like some idiot cranked the t-bars and left the rear alone.

Dustin099

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If it's a 3.0 that's not that bad, if it's a 4.0, I'd guess he didn't put a new clutch in recently.

That "cali lift" does kinda look like some idiot cranked the t-bars and left the rear alone.
It is a 3.0, just out of curiosity why would you assume the clutch was not replaced on the 4.0.

Thanks man

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It's not uncommon for the seat recliner handle to get broken. every one of these trucks I've worked on, the hood release required a good tug to release it, the jeep xj/s are the same.

98RedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The hood release is normal that's exactly how mine is. With the clutch my neighbors a ford mechanic and he said to put it in 3rd and just pop the clutch and if it rolls before it dies the clutch is bad and if it just dies right after you pop the clutch it's good. If the clutch is bad I wouldn't buy it they run about $700 bucks on the 4x4 rangers. And if I were you I'd down grade on the tires after you burn em off and go to 31's you'll get better fuel mileage and won't risk burning up the clutch. Oh yeah and with the powersteering that's normal. Mine does it too, if it's really loud it might need some fluid but thats all I could think of.

Last edited:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
dont mean to call you out but you can get a clutch for cheaper than $700

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
don't for get to look at the oil on the dipstick, air filter, inside the exhaust, etc. look under and see if the frame, axles, etc. are leaking or gunked up with grease and dirt. those things should tell you how well it's been kept. and i never believe it when they tell me something is "new" or "rebuilt" unless they have the paperwork to back it up. i don't tell them that to their face, but i take it with a big grain of salt.
and don't forget, Florida and the southern coast have had a few hurricanes and storms in the past decade so you don't want any of those that were flooded. i'd do the carfax for that much money. just my $.02.

98RedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
dont mean to call you out but you can get a clutch for cheaper than $700
That was the price new from ford. There always over priced lol. But it's still going to be a good chunk of change and for 6 grand you shouldn't have to do anything to it besides drive it. Personally I think it's over priced anyways. The guys going by blue book and I don't know where he lives but I live about 2 hours south of tampa and theres a few rangers around here for a good bit less than that. For example, this one. http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/ctd/1823414118.html and another one right here http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/cto/1799195477.html and even this one http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/cto/1796551366.html and if you could get this one it looks pretty nice http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/cto/1780601223.html

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It is a 3.0, just out of curiosity why would you assume the clutch was not replaced on the 4.0.

Thanks man

The 4.0 clutches grab quick. I have a fairly new 4.0 clutch in my truck, and it grabs before I have it 1/2 way out.

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
Don't have any experience with the 3.0 but manual everything is always the best way to go on rangers (tranny, t-case, hubs) if you plan on doing a lot of offroading especially running 33s. Wouldn't go any bigger in tire size on open diffs either. It may have a 3" body lift being that theres no suspenion lift I would imagine there has to be to fit 33s.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals