• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

whats makes a Ranger XLT?

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
So im still looking for a ranger, and I see XLT ones and ones that don't say it. What does XLT stand for and what is it?

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
my grandfather told me it stands for "eXtra Large Transmition"

twinky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9 st8 6
Transmission
Automatic
In the Ranger trucks you have the XL trim level which is the base or stripped model. The XLT is an upgraded trim level that usually has a larger engine, and more comfort features like AC, while maintaining the option for power windows, power locks, cruise control, power mirrors, etc. Those were package options, they didn't come standard in the earlier years. However in today's ranger trucks with the XLT package those are standard.

and its a towing package
mine is a base xlt 2.3l auto no power windows or locks but has a sliding window and tow package

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a higher level of stock parts/interior upgrades. You can find the lower level XL with just about the same options sometimes. Just look for the one you want and like.
Dave

dru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i wonder the same thing. other than a/c my truck was as bottom of the line as they get when i bought it. (roll up windows, manual locks, no cruise)

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Those guys are just having fun with you....

XLT is a trim package. It's kind of the middle of the road trim package. "Custom" and "XL" are below it. "Lariat" and "FX4" are above it. "STX", "Sport", and "Splash" are trim packages that are about equal to XLT but come with special stuff like a flareside bed (splash), a factory 2" lift option (old STX), a 2wd street appearance package (new STX), 4x4 ride height and front suspension but only 2wd (Sport).

Basically XLT gets you things like air conditioning, chrome bumpers, cloth seats and stuff like that.

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Eletric 4x4 shift on go.

what years have the electric shift on the go for the 4x4? i seen a few i think 2 gens? 91 90 4x4 but i think i want one with that electric shift.. Ive never owned a 4x4 so I want something easy

RumpRanger98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
also ive seen a few that say 2x4 or 4x2.....??

Bubba Bob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
XLT/XL has nothing to do with engine size.

Generally it means you have some extra chrome on the outside. Upgraded front bumper and grill. That's about it. The XLT probably came with some other upgrades, non of which you couldn't get with the XL though.

dru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
no chrome at all on my xlt

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Boy, a lot of stuff flying around tonight! I think the Ranger has had AC standard for 20 years. The later Rangers with the Sport package came with the painted bumpers and a tach. My 3.0 '05' STX came with the really nice seats, carbon fiber dash but rubber floor. All the XLT Rangers (six) I have had, had manual windows and doors. Last manual shift x-fer case I had was on my '84' BII, sure the manual was an option later. To many ways to switch options.
Dave

Last edited:

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i wondered why my sport sat higher

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
my 93 XLT has the chrome bumbers but not the grill. its got A/C, tach, and power everything.

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I think the Ranger has had AC standard for 20 years.
AC was still an option on XL trim at least as late as 2001 in some states. A member here, Citoriplus, owned the nearly identical (when stock) twin of my 2001 Ranger, but I don't think his truck had AC.

The XLT package is just nicer standard trim. The content differences between the XL and XLT vary from year to year.

From 1993-2000 the XLT package added chrome bumpers, a chrome grille, carpet, and nicer door panels. A cassette player and cloth split bench were standard on the XLT, but optional on the XL. Also, in 1993-1994 some XLs actually came with carpet.

There was an XL only Sport package in 1993-1994 that included XLT style aluminum wheels and decals similar to those on STXs. Later on the Sport package became available for both the XL and XLT. The later Sport package included painted bumpers, a painted grille, and 15x7 wheels.

In 2001-2002, the XLT package included all of the previous upgrades, plus 15x7 wheels, upgraded side mirrors, and a CD player. In 2003 chrome was no longer standard and was optional in an "Appearance Package." Around 2004 or 2005, Ford added a "Value Package" for the XLT that deleted the carpet. XLT trim has varied since then, but the basic idea is the same.

Keep in mind, packages can vary by region. My truck's group of options are part of a regional package. It was sold new in NC.

Apparently the package applied to trucks ordered with the Appearance Package or Flareside bed...my truck is not a Flareside.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals