• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

best year ford a 302 for a 88 ranger?

MikeyFord3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.7L
Transmission
Automatic
lets start off im 18 years old just graduating high school. i have a 1988 ford ranger 4x4. im doing the eb dana 44/8.8sas now. it has the stock 2.9L in it. im planning on eventually putting a 302 in the truck maybe by the end of the summer, im saving up now.. anyways i was wondering what would be the best 302 for the swap? (year what car/truck from)and would it be easier to do a 302 or just put a 5.0 in? the 5.0 is fuel injected and the 302 is carb. id rather run the 302 but if the 5.0 is eaiser then i guess i could just do that.. id also like to know how much its runnning everyone to do this and is it really worth it to them? jsut trying to get a rough estimate on everything.. im thinking i jsut have to get a new tranny,transfercase, 302 then rebuild it.. fuel unit?..oil pan, rad, starter, alternator, motor mounts, headers, and ill want to run a/c too.

vadersho

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
302 is cubic inches, 5.0 is the liter. 302= 5.0 or 5.0= 302 weather is carb'ed or injected

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
302 is cubic inches, 5.0 is the liter. 302= 5.0 or 5.0= 302 weather is carb'ed or injected
That is true but Ford also used it to signify which version you have... 302 (carb) or 5.0 (fuel injec.)

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is true but Ford also used it to signify which version you have... 302 (carb) or 5.0 (fuel injec.)
That's kind of general rule. The early 5.0's up to '86' were still carb'd I believe. Some times it actually cheaper to start out with a new short/long block than having a 20 year old motor rebuilt, never know what lerks inside. The carb vs efi debate is constant about which is best. Carb is probably the easest. Have fun with the project, worth it.
DRanger, how's the weather over on the coast, we're at 75 degs already here in Point.
Dave

MikeyFord3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.7L
Transmission
Automatic
well i know that the 302 and 5.0 are the same i was just saying that to distinguish fuel injected or not.
I have not bought the engine yet still saving up so the project is done right...but im thinking about just getting a 302 out of a early bronco or maybe even just a 302 out of a stang and dropping it in.
i think that the wiring would be a lot easier if i went carb, thats the only thing i am really worried about for this project is the whole wiring computer mess kinda worries me:icon_confused:... but idk and i like the way they sound when they're all cammed out :headbang:

sdjr

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 cubic inches
Transmission
Manual
The 5.0 in lincolns and mercury's are gonna basicly be the same too, I know some purists might jump me now and talk about cam duration, double roller chains blah blah, nothing you can't swap in. But the POINT is, you might get a better deal on the engine if buying used if it's "just a lincoln" instead of a sexy mustang it came out of...same engine either way.

MikeyFord3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.7L
Transmission
Automatic
yeah true well i know around here there are a lot of old stangs and i know a couple people with 302's just lying around.. lol this would be a lot easier if i just had a damn early bronco haha

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't forget about the F-150 4x4. This your first adventure into engines I take it. Just spent two hours out in the garage reminding myself why I don't like working on the EFI's. There is so much crap to take off before you can even begin to remove the intake. Stuff that bolts to the block use SAE while the stuff that bolts to the aux brackets are usually metric.
Dave

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
actually the designation 5.0-302 come into play with the change over from 28oz inbalance to the 50oz inbalance motors, the 28oz (pre 83) being 302's and the 50oz (83 and later) being 5.0's.

CSyd77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6/3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
im about to do the same on my 88, but i still havent decided if i want a 302 or a 351W.im leaning more towards the 351 just for the power, but the 302 is easier to find.my only problems now are $$$, tranny, t-case and axles(ideas for common 5spd 4x4s are greatly appreciated)

MikeyFord3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.7L
Transmission
Automatic
what do you mean my first adventure into engines.. i mean i grew up with my uncles and grandfather owning multiple shops i know like the basics and stuff.. i just said it would be easier if had a early bronco because its something i always wanted and the 302 already came stock lol.. i know efi is a lot more complex then a carbed engine

MikeyFord3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.7L
Transmission
Automatic
im about to do the same on my 88, but i still havent decided if i want a 302 or a 351W.im leaning more towards the 351 just for the power, but the 302 is easier to find.my only problems now are $$$, tranny, t-case and axles(ideas for common 5spd 4x4s are greatly appreciated)

yeah the 302 is a lot easier to find around here too.. and i feel you with the money issue ill prob be saving up for a while to do this. plus i have to find all the right parts.. that also takes time

MikeyFord3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.7L
Transmission
Automatic
i have another question i heard its a pita to stay manual and better to go automatic. if wanted to stay manual couldn't i just use a 3 speed transmission on the floor oout of a 66-77early bronco that already was connected to thee 302 or 289 if i wanted to stay manual?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
i have another question i heard its a pita to stay manual and better to go automatic. if wanted to stay manual couldn't i just use a 3 speed transmission on the floor oout of a 66-77early bronco that already was connected to thee 302 or 289 if i wanted to stay manual?
If your truck was a manual, it's very easy to swap another manual in. You just have to figure out how to make a hydraulic clutch work which isn't too hard. Neither one is real hard to set up.

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The carb. is easier. It has less power (stock) then the injected but not by a lot. Not dealing with the computer is nice.

As for the 302 -v- 351. The 351 is wider and a tighter fit.

My $.02

Good luck. Have patience at it all fit..........eventually.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals