• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1987 Ford Ranger 4x4 engine not running

Supercrewzer76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just brought my 87 ranger home yesterday. Now I am tring to find out why it will not run. It is a 1987 Ford Ranger with a 2.9L and a 5spd manual transmission. It will turn over and is getting fuel but it will not start. I put my spark tester and the coil shows 1 spark right when you being cranking and then nothing. I was thinking it may be the ignition module but I had it tested and it was good. It had been replaced before I brought it home. Next I replaced the coil with another one I know is good and still nothing. Any ideas I need this on the road to make Mother happy. Some people just don't appreciate a good deal

btank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
im having the same exact problem i cant figure it out either, i asked these guys and they said to try to replace the pickup in the distributor but i think you have to remove the distributor to replace the pickup.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
check the nuetral safety switch....try starting it in gear &clutch depressed......then try starting it with in nuetral....see if there is a difference.

other than that make sure all your ground wires are all good. and main battery cables.

Have the battery load tested....make sure it can sustain 12v

2slow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check the relays on the passenger side of the engine bay. (between the air box and the fender). I had one fail Sunday while I was driving. Replaced it for around $12 and she fired right back up. Let me know if you need a part number, I think the box is still in the garage. I can get it for you in the morning if you need it.
Another thing I found to check while reading on here is the inertia switch. It is located in the passenger side of the cab where your left foot would be. I believe there is a way to bypass this switch for testing by placing a jumper wire in the connector if you suspect it bad.
If it's not these and everything else you've checked, it's probably wiring and hopefully not the computer.
Good luck

Last edited:

Nailzs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
if he has fuel its not the inertia switch, and likely not the relays
start lookin at the ignition system, thats where the problem is

btank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
i changed my pick up coil last night and it runs like a champ, try changing that. I agree with Nailzs, if he has no spark its not the inertia switch.

Last edited:

Supercrewzer76

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well it runs. Not great but its a start for a $275 4x4 truck. It was the pickup coil. I am going to time the engine Sat morning. Then I need to clean the wiring up. Make sure all vaccum leaks are plugged. And then if I am feeling brave maybe take it out for a cruise. I also need to pressure wash it inside and out I just hope the rust and grease isn't holding it together. I was thinking of re-selling it but I kind of like the little runt

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Well it runs. Not great but its a start for a $275 4x4 truck. It was the pickup coil. I am going to time the engine Sat morning. Then I need to clean the wiring up. Make sure all vaccum leaks are plugged. And then if I am feeling brave maybe take it out for a cruise. I also need to pressure wash it inside and out I just hope the rust and grease isn't holding it together. I was thinking of re-selling it but I kind of like the little runt
Yeap...they grow on ya.:icon_thumby:

glad to hear it is runnig better anyway

Mountanman83

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 bored and cam
Transmission
Manual
well i have an 87 ranger 4x4 that im parting out if you need anything let me know

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals