Home Ford Ranger Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum  

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. If you're in need of help, post it below in the appropriate topic forum.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
feellnfroggy

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD for right now.
feellnfroggy is a jewel in the roughfeellnfroggy is a jewel in the roughfeellnfroggy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to feellnfroggy

So meaning however much is loaded in the bed before hookng uphte trailer your tow rating is decreased by however much extra weight is in the bed.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopman View Post
Like I say to the newbies who join us: "Pull up a chair, grab a cold drink, & watch for low-flying BS!!!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shran View Post
Used to happen to my mom's Grand Marquis all the time when we took it offroad. Don't worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopman View Post
Agreed. "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" doesn't begin to cover the ugliness of this thing.
feellnfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

SPRING ONLINE MAGAZINE!

Check out the latest articles

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #12
crusin93

Vehicle Year: 1987, 1998
Vehicle Make: Ford Ranger
Vehicle Model: 1998 xlt supercab 4.0 4x4 1987 xlt supercab 2.9 4x4
I use this vehicle for: R+D wasting greenbacks
crusin93 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by heptofite View Post
no such thing as laws regarding towing weight on a ranger.

legally, you could have a gooseneck trailer hooked to your ranger with a bumper pull hooked to that, and you wouldn't be breaking any laws.

or you could have a steel coil in the bed of your truck, and again, there are no laws stopping you.
Aahh to the contrary. There ARE laws regarding towing/hauling in trucks dirven by persons not having a CDL. I know it is not a standardized law across all states however my state has adopted a strict law after the death of a few too many people due to overloaded trucks. You now can be pulled over for no other reason, they can tow your rig and trailer, and then you get to pay the fine to get it out of impound.

That's why I recomended calling U-haul. They know your state's law regarding towing limits and your particluar vehicle.

+1 for the HD trailer brakes. It dosen't matter how much you can tow if you can't stop it!

Last edited by crusin93; 09-01-2010 at 11:29 PM.
crusin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #13
heptofite

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: Bronco II XLT
I use this vehicle for: Being Totally Awesome
heptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusin93 View Post
Aahh to the contrary. There ARE laws regarding towing/hauling in trucks dirven by persons not having a CDL. I know it is not a standardized law across all states however my state has adopted a strict law after the death of a few too many people due to overloaded trucks. You now can be pulled over for no other reason, they can tow your rig and trailer, and then you get to pay the fine to get it out of impound.

That's why I recomended calling U-haul. They know your state's law regarding towing limits and your particluar vehicle.

+1 for the HD trailer brakes. It dosen't matter how much you can tow if you can't stop it!
news to me, but about damn time either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
I think Rangers are pussy trucks. Mine has gotten me so much pussy, if I have to fix it every day for the rest of my life, it has still earned it's keep.
heptofite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:25 AM   #14
LordVngr

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: STX Supercab
LordVngr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin86ranger View Post

Now That's what I'm talking about. Rig doesnt really look that bad I dont think. I think I was a little misleading when I said I was looking for a trailer to go camping.

I live in florida and have been toying with the idea of moving back out west, Just not 100% sure where. If I did, I thought about buying a camper that was big enough that I could actually live in it for awhile. That way, I'm not tied down to any one place or dont have to worry about getting an apartment right away when I blow into a town.

I asked about the 5th wheel because they Seem like you get more living space for the length but I could be wrong.

For instance, I'm thinking set up right I would think my ranger could handle a pull trailer 22-24 foot in length But I dont know for sure. Now it seems to me that IF the truck would handle a 24 pull trailer wouldnt it handle a 24-25 foot 5th wheel even better because of the way they hook up.

I've heard that 5th wheel trailers pull better and are much easier to manuver then convential trailers. Also when talking trailer length in 5th wheels is the Overhang included in that length.

As far as popups go I've never been a big fan of popups. A older motorhome would be ideal I would think But the cost would be too much and maintance on one could get Real Expensive. I do agree about Good Brakes though.

I'm a total novice about towing things with the ranger so keep the info coming guys. Thanks....

LV
LordVngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:46 AM   #15
Captain Ledd

Vehicle Year: 1984, 1997
Vehicle Model: Rangers
I use this vehicle for: Literally everything.
My credo: If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Captain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to allCaptain Ledd is a name known to all

So when you cay 5 speed, that IS the manual right?

I was gonna say around 3,000lbs tops, like what has been mentioned. Especially for long distances.

I was actually thinking trying to stay in the 16 foot range or so. The wind is going to be the biggest obstacle. It'll be pushing on that nice big side of the trailer and that little Ranger might not be enough to keep her planted.

The 5th wheel would make things alot better.

The supercabs wheel base will also make things tow a little easier.

1984 Ranger - std cab, long bed: The Deathtrap
302; T18; D20 Tcase; 6' lift; 4.56 gears; 33' pro comp MT's; Aussie locked rear
1997 Ranger - std cab, short bed: Red Ranger
2.3L; M50D R1; 2wd; 4.56 gears; Explorer 8.8; ARB locker; 235/75R15 AT's
(soon to undergo 4x4 conversion )
Captain Ledd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:47 AM   #16
Sasquatch_Ryda
Coast Mountain Crawlers

Vehicle Year: 1991/2002/2008
Vehicle Model: Ranger/SportTrac/SuperDuty
I use this vehicle for: Play toy/Daily Driver/Tow Rig
Sasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud ofSasquatch_Ryda has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Sasquatch_Ryda

I pull a 24 foot travel trailer with my 2005 Sport Trac with the 4.0L, automatic and 4.10 gears. Its an absolute dog to tow. My trailer weighs in at 4200 lbs dry weight and the Sport Trac is rated for 5200lbs. I'm now looking at selling the sport trac and buying a super duty to tow with.

I would not even consider anything over 18 feet with a 2.9L and 5spd trans. Autos are rated to tow more. And would definitely be looking for an ultra light model.

You also have to consider the frontal area of the trailer...dragging that huge ass wind sail down the road with a 2.9L is gonna be a chore.

With a pull trailer you get the advantage of using an equalizer hitch to distribute the weight over both the front and rear axle of the truck, which will tow a ton better and help with trailer sway.
1967 Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, pretty much stock
Sasquatch_Ryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:19 AM   #17
heptofite

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: Bronco II XLT
I use this vehicle for: Being Totally Awesome
heptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to beholdheptofite is a splendid one to behold

autos may be rated to tow more, but i sure as hell would never tow with one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
I think Rangers are pussy trucks. Mine has gotten me so much pussy, if I have to fix it every day for the rest of my life, it has still earned it's keep.
heptofite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:46 AM   #18
LordVngr

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: STX Supercab
LordVngr is on a distinguished road

Ok guys

Here's to the type of 5th wheel I'm thinking about. it's 25 foot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-Si...item3f02c4ed0c

I look at that and think, yep big enough for an exteded stay if need be and small enough that maybe my ranger could tow it. The overhang might be misleading but when I look at the picture of the side it doest Look that big, kinda small actually.

I checked my manual and it shows a payload weight of 1300 lbs and a GVWR weight of 4650lbs for my truck. I'm not 100% sure what that means. Can I tow a trailer that weight OR is that the combined weight of the truck including everything in it and on it And included the total weight of the towed item. If so, figure the truck weighs a ton , ton and 1/2, plus people, gas, gear, dont leave much room left over to tow anything it seems.

Can someone explain that to me and also the advantages / disadvantages of convential trailer verses 5th wheel.

Also what about the 5th wheel hitch. Are they custom made for each model truck or do you just buy the hitch and then a Mounting kit for your type truck. Might be kind of hard to buy for a ranger. Go into Lazy Days and ask for a 5th wheel mount kit for a ranger. They would probably laugh......

Lv

Last edited by LordVngr; 09-02-2010 at 02:49 AM.
LordVngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #19
LiLRanger

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: DD
LiLRanger is on a distinguished road

Mu opinion is you will never be able to tow a big enough (or stop) a trailer big enough for anything over a weekend camping trip (and that would be pushing it!)
LiLRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:42 AM   #20
Will
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: When I can't ride a motorcycle.
Will has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud of

You aren't pulling that 5th wheel very far with a 2.9.

My parents have a 19' Scamp fiver and I could easily live in it by myself. It has a hanging closet, a bathroom with a shower you can stand up in and the bed doesn't have to be taken up for a table like other small ones. They pull it with a 1500 Ram with a 3.9 and a 6-speed and it does great. Your Ranger would be fine as well.

I had a 16' Casita up until a few years ago and we pulled it with a Mazda pickup with a 4-cylinder auto. I could have lived in that as well because of the arrangement--it also had a bed you could leave made. The Scamp 19' is better though. It's not as well built, but it would be better to live in. We had the 16' Spirit Deluxe.

Whatever you get, you won't be going fast. Your 140hp is enough power, but you have to think like a trucker and use the whole engine and be patient. You have to let the motor spin up to the top of each gear. You can't attach a big friggin thing to your hitch and jam the gas down to the floor and expect to launch off like you did empty. You have to roll in the power at the rate the engine is able to build rpms. If you just jam the pedal to the floor and swear and slap the dash yelling "On you fkkin huskies!" you'll just jack the egts, overheat the cylinder heads, put unneccesary strain on the driveline and piss yourself off taking all of the fun out of the drive.

'09 Mazdaspeed COBB Tuning

'14 ZX1000M; '09 TU250X; '79 XLS1000
Will is offline   Reply With Quote