• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03 ranger losing power

03MNRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone. I am new to the site and have a question for you guys. I recently bought an 03 ranger edge 4x4 automatic with 141000 miles, and I am having a few issues. When I am driving it at hwy speed it seams to cut out or lose power. It comes and goes and I can feel it slow up then pick back up. I have replaced the plugs, wires, and coil pack. These all helped but it still does it. I am wondering if it might be the fuel filter, or the cam position synchronizer. My other thought is the O2 sensors. When I first bought it I had a local shop look it over and there were no codes. They even drove it around with the computer hooked up and nothing showed up. I am looking for any ideas or suggestions.
Thanks for your time.

monstermazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
It will be hard but check fuel pressure when it happens mind did something like this sounded like it was a camed out sbc for the drag strip. On hwy you can feel it lose the power and you put it to the floor nothing just missing and no power. Mine was fuel pressure regulator witch was on the fuel pump in the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
It will be hard but check fuel pressure when it happens mind did something like this sounded like it was a camed out sbc for the drag strip. On hwy you can feel it lose the power and you put it to the floor nothing just missing and no power. Mine was fuel pressure regulator witch was on the fuel pump in the tank.

IDK about 03 but my 95's 3.0 regulator is on the fuel rail and vacuum-regulated.

monstermazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
In 98 they went to the tank still have a injector regular on the rail but that's how mines set up in 98

little red ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Instead of guessing and throwing high dollar parts at it,take it to Autozone and have them scan it for codes,then post codes here and we can give you a little help,,, better yet go to Amazon and buy you a $30 dollar ELM scan tool and hook it to your laptop or smart phone and download a free program called Forscan it works very well with widows

03MNRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks

Thanks for replying to my post. I have had the codes read at the local shop and nothing is showing up at this point. I will have them run it again the next time it's in the shop. Today it was dong the same thing but it just stopped acting up but I know it will be back. It has done this before. Here one minute then gone. I don't know if it has to do with the temp but the gage is right in the middle the whole time.
Thanks again and keep the ideas coming.

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
Replace the fuel filter and check cam sync before buying O2's. Both can be done in under an hour.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals