• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Body Parts Interchangeable Between 1980’s & early-90’s Rangers?

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, folks.

It’s my first thread here, so sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong place. The best truck I ever owned was a 1983 Ranger with the 2.8 V6 and a stick shift. Unfortunately, she had some rot over the wheel wells when I got her (I lived in the salty Northeast) and wasn’t 4-wheel drive. So after 4 years of faithful service (including hauling full 1/2 cords of oak firewood with racks and a pair of helper springs!), I finally sold her for $600 about 16 years ago. I’ve now moved back home and am dying to find another (and maybe some day do the small block V8 swap I always dreamed of).

I seem to keep coming across Rangers from the early 1990’s instead, but I hate the front fenders, headlights, and grill on these. Does anyone know if you can just swap these front end parts with ones from 1983-1988? Seems like these changes were just a facelift Ford made and that older parts might just bolt right on. Anyone tried? :icon_welder: Thanks!

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I read this earlier and went to find the "parts interchangeable" list that was being put together in the tech article submit forum (near the top)...I got sidetracked, did my laundry and a few other things before coming back...but I still didn't find it...

It might have gotten moved into the tech articles section but I didn't find it...

I would suggest searching on that title "parts interchange" or something similar...someone mentioned what parts on what years will bolt right on and what ones need the front clip replaced before it can work...I think with an 1983 you can swap parts up to 1988 without too much difficulty...

I put a 1992 front end on a 1988 Ranger without changing the clip...but it would have been better to change the clip...and not actually that hard to do. I ended up having to cut out most of the headlight section and using mod parts to mount it...and it worked out ok...except I never drove it over bumps and whatnot so I'm sure it would rattle itself apart...so...

The clips can still be bought if you want to change parts up to 1992...after that you need to make more changes...like the whole cab...but the good news is that if the frame is good and you are using the same style of cab you can pretty much swap them on from 1983 to at least 1997 without changing much...and after that you may need to move mounts around a bit.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I found some photos on my PB account...

This one is just after the cab swap to the 96 frame...shows the 88 front end.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/akwarian8/BodyonFrame_zps7fee0be6.jpg

This one shows the area behind the light that I had to cut away to allow access to the bulb for changing them...as well as the signal lights.

This one shows the finished product. Just a few minor touches needed to complete this.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/akwarian8/Truck Build/New front end2_zpsyed75c8r.jpg

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/akwarian8/Truck Build/headlight mount1_zpsuztmvzor.jpg

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I found some photos on my PB account...

This one is just after the cab swap to the 96 frame...shows the 88 front end.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/akwarian8/BodyonFrame_zps7fee0be6.jpg

This one shows the area behind the light that I had to cut away to allow access to the bulb for changing them...as well as the signal lights.

This one shows the finished product. Just a few minor touches needed to complete this.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/akwarian8/Truck Build/New front end2_zpsyed75c8r.jpg

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/akwarian8/Truck Build/headlight mount1_zpsuztmvzor.jpg
Hey, Mark.

My hat’s really off to you on this one for taking on a BIG job! :icon_surprised::icon_thumby: Thanks for sharing. I’m pretty sure that front body panels from a 1983-88 Ranger can bolt right on to a 1989-92. Anyone tried?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I’m pretty sure that front body panels from a 1983-88 Ranger can bolt right on to a 1989-92. Anyone tried?
It has been done many times. Usually people go the other way though.

Pretty sure you have to change the radiator support for the headlights, you might be able to make it work (you can going from a first gen to second but not sure about second to first) but I think it would be easier to just do it while you are there.

Just a warning the interior is different too.

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
I did exactly what you describe, 80s nose on a 91. Had to drill a few holes for the fenders to bolt on, hood was a direct swap. That's the easy part.

Best way to do the front is change the core support out for the correct 83-88 style grill. I didn't. Some cutting and fitting and welded in a couple nuts to each side to get the headlights in, one sides a little cock-eyed, but it works. The actual grill shell I put in with self tapping screws where it looked ok. Trucks been thrashed off road hard and its held up decent.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hey, Mark.

My hat’s really off to you on this one for taking on a BIG job! :icon_surprised::icon_thumby: Thanks for sharing. I’m pretty sure that front body panels from a 1983-88 Ranger can bolt right on to a 1989-92. Anyone tried?
THanks...but I guess i missed answering your question...distracted again...

Looks like the others answered your question...but...yes...you can go backwards if you want...there is an issue with inner fenders that you may not be able to buy new...they are different than the Gen II because they go down lower at the front...no reason why you can't use the Gen II inners other than how they bolt on...but I think they bolt on the same place...just might need to do a bit of cutting...

Maybe check LMC for those parts...I didn't check...search the page for inner fenders...

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fr/full.aspx?Page=120

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did exactly what you describe, 80s nose on a 91. Had to drill a few holes for the fenders to bolt on, hood was a direct swap. That's the easy part.

Best way to do the front is change the core support out for the correct 83-88 style grill. I didn't. Some cutting and fitting and welded in a couple nuts to each side to get the headlights in, one sides a little cock-eyed, but it works. The actual grill shell I put in with self tapping screws where it looked ok. Trucks been thrashed off road hard and its held up decent.
Thanks for all of the solid info, everyone! :headbang:

Jimmyrig

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It ain't stuck till it don't move
A few things I found using a 91 body for parts for my 85, the tailgate latch brackets are different but can be made to work or just swapped. The doors are identical except for the screw holes and mounting brackets for the inside handles. I put the newer doors on because I didn't feel like locating the holes for the newer panels and in the process noticed that the newer doors don't have the notches for the inner window seal because it's on the panel, something to keep in mind if you want the older panels. The body lines all line up fine. The front clip definitely has to be swapped as a unit just to make life easy

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Hey, farmer.

Really glad to hear that someone has actually done it, because I’m looking at buying a ’91 right now and I’m already dying to switch out the nose with one from an ’83-88 (they just look SO much better, IMO). I figure that I’ll have to swap the front fenders (sounds like a few drill holes might be needed), the hood, the grill, the headlights, the core support (which I think others refer to as the “clip”), and the front bumper. Does that sound about right? :icon_welder:

One thing worries me. According to Wikipedia, the changes from 1989-92 amount to a simple facelift. BUT the entry also indicates that the vehicle length grew from 192.7” (1983-88) to 193.6” (1989-92). This leads me to wonder where the extra inch came from. If it was added at the front (by lengthening the fenders and hood), then I’d be screwed. Or at the very least, I’d be left with a gap between the grill and the bumper when finished with the swap. Did you run into any such aesthetic issues?

Thanks a lot for any input! :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Front bumper is different too which would effect overall length, keep that in mind.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hey, farmer.

Really glad to hear that someone has actually done it, because i’m looking at buying a ’91 right now and i’m already dying to switch out the nose with one from an ’83-88 (they just look so much better, imo). I figure that i’ll have to swap the front fenders (sounds like a few drill holes might be needed), the hood, the grill, the headlights, the core support (which i think others refer to as the “clip”), and the front bumper. Does that sound about right? :icon_welder:

One thing worries me. According to wikipedia, the changes from 1989-92 amount to a simple facelift. But the entry also indicates that the vehicle length grew from 192.7” (1983-88) to 193.6” (1989-92). This leads me to wonder where the extra inch came from. If it was added at the front (by lengthening the fenders and hood), then i’d be screwed. Or at the very least, i’d be left with a gap between the grill and the bumper when finished with the swap. Did you run into any such aesthetic issues?

Thanks a lot for any input! :icon_thumby:
bump

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals