• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Resurrection Ranger

Fear250r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey fellas,

I've recently started poking back around here in the last few weeks and have finally decided to bring the ol girl back to life.

Been years since I've been on here or driven my Ranger for that matter.

She died several years back when it was my back up vehicle. Dad was driving it and the motor blew up on him. I had planned on doing a 5.0 swap but a nasty divorce got in the way of that. So she sat and sat for many, many years. My current DD, 01 Cummins, is rotting away and instead of buying someone else's problems, I'll get my ol Ranger back on the road as my back up/toy.

I've owned the truck for 16 years, love the body style and always wanted to get it back on the road. I could never bring myself to selling it. I think I tried a couple times but couldn't pull the trigger..

Needless to say, I picked up an Explorer last weekend with lower miles and a 5 speed. Ranger currently has an auto but plan on swapping in the stick. Interior needs a total overhaul, been sitting for 8-10 years...body is still in great shape for the year (1990). Cheap lift brackets will be replaced with skyjacker brackets purchased many years ago, but never installed. Also have an 8.8 from a '96 explorer to go in as well.

Well that's my story for now. I'll update as I make progress. Starting striping a few things today before the heat got to me..

Jesse

Pic from a few years back.

95bajaguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
4.0l v6 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Awesome, it's gonna be a cool build. Can't wait to follow it.

I plan on doing a 5.0 swap myself on my b4000 in the next few years.

chewy012

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I've got long term plans for my '92, she's my commuting horse right now though. Good luck on the build! Good lookin' rig!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ford4thot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Can't wait to see it, I've got a 92 I'm warming over. Subbed to this thread

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Welcome back--that will be a great foundation for a build.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, good looking truck...but I have to ask...did you put a 1" lift on that at some time or did the previous owner?

I noticed there is a gap around the front bumper and when I put the 92 front end on my 88 I also added a 1" lift (had to, actually) and had almost the exact same gap...but mine was black and gray...lol

I was going to fill mine in with some garden edging (plastic) or similar material but sold the truck before I had to figure that out...

Fear250r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies fellas. Not going to be a speedy build, usually only have the weekend to work on it. She's sitting at my parents house where all the tools are..

Should be able to finish stripping the interior this wkend, and maybe get the front springs out. Going to have the springs and lift brackets powder coated by my cousin.

Mark, it currently has a 3" body lift (hence the bumper gap) and 4" suspension lift.

Jesse

Last edited:

Fear250r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got the interior stripped today.

Seats are still in great shape. Besides the left side of the drivers seat from jumping in and out. Will have that repaired. Otherwise a good washing and they'll be good to go.

Fear250r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Quick update...

Unfortunately, time/work and weather have put a halt on things. I've put the explorer in storage for now.

When I was cleaning out the garage I forgot about some old Ranger doors I have. They're 1st gen doors and I can't recall if they fit a gen2 or not? They're in absolutely terrific shape without a spot of rust. Figured I'd ask since I have no other updates...

Thanks guys

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
You can use Gen 2 doors on a Gen 1.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yes, the doors will fit perfectly...the inside trim on a Gen I and Gen II will also swap in without a problem...

The match ends with that though and if you want it to be a perfect match you'd have to swap the hardware for the door handle, latch, lock, and winding mechanisms so the trim from a Gen II will look and work the same.

Not an easy task but it can be done.

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey fellas,

I've recently started poking back around here in the last few weeks and have finally decided to bring the ol girl back to life.

Been years since I've been on here or driven my Ranger for that matter.

She died several years back when it was my back up vehicle. Dad was driving it and the motor blew up on him. I had planned on doing a 5.0 swap but a nasty divorce got in the way of that. So she sat and sat for many, many years. My current DD, 01 Cummins, is rotting away and instead of buying someone else's problems, I'll get my ol Ranger back on the road as my back up/toy.

I've owned the truck for 16 years, love the body style and always wanted to get it back on the road. I could never bring myself to selling it. I think I tried a couple times but couldn't pull the trigger..

Needless to say, I picked up an Explorer last weekend with lower miles and a 5 speed. Ranger currently has an auto but plan on swapping in the stick. Interior needs a total overhaul, been sitting for 8-10 years...body is still in great shape for the year (1990). Cheap lift brackets will be replaced with skyjacker brackets purchased many years ago, but never installed. Also have an 8.8 from a '96 explorer to go in as well.

Well that's my story for now. I'll update as I make progress. Starting striping a few things today before the heat got to me..

Jesse

Pic from a few years back.

Gonna have to keep an eye on your build...... I loved that generation of the ranger!!! :icon_thumby: maybe one day I can find me one in great shape to build on?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals