• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Budget 350

SkysTheLimit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Spray is the best Hp bang for your buck. Nitrous is cheap on eBay and it is 100hp at the touch of a button. It is an easy install, good on stock engines, only gives you power when you need it and you can put it on any other vehicle.

I know guys who have sprayed rc/hobby nitromethane in their carbs with washer fluid pumps. (they had a mean small block tractor puller) Its a cheap redneck wet nitrous system. If you rig something up just remember to only feed it spray with the pedal to the floor. It's maybe not the best idea. It will give you a smoke show thats forsure as it is 40% nitromethane, 20 castrol oil, and 40% alcohol. Never run nitro in your gas though because it will eat away at your fuel system.

I have built a high compression, ported 2 stroke bike run on a nitromethane blend. I leaned out the oil with alcohol and mixed it with high octane fuel. Nitro and gas don't mix well so i could only burn a 1/4 liter at a time. With the tuned carb, ported head, on top of the fact that nitro burns much faster than gas, my fuel cell did not stay full long. It was a fast machine. She spit flames at the top rpms!! :)

Last edited:

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I talk about horsepower, I talk about factory installed horsepower. You have a 300hp engine on a dyno and it's a 250hp engine running through an exhaust system and an air filter and pump gas and using it's own waterpump and alternator and steering pump and maybe air pump etc. You won't get 400hp out of that old 350. It's probably a 200hp motor with 300ft# of torque. An LT1 from a Buick Roadmaster or Caprice wagon or Cadillac is a 260hp/335ft# motor and the heads are enormously better.

I wouldn't muck around with a 350 in that size of truck. A stock 454 of that generation is a 230hp/385ft# motor and your money would be much better spent adding some cubes. Put the 350 in your Ranger.

If you want to keep the 350 you need to spend a couple grand on some aftermarket heads and gear that rear axle down, down, down. You can't improve torque very much, you can just slide it up the rpm scale. Torque has everything to do with the amount of air you can move through the cylinder in a single cycle of the engine. If you were going to grind open the ports, the air would slow down at low rpms causing a less complete filling of the cylinder. A long duration camshaft also kicks low-rpm airspeed in the balls. A 454 has a hell of a lot more air filling the cylinder than a 350 per cycle and is much more cost effective.

Horsepower is completely independent of torque because you can take a little bit of torque and hit the crankshaft with it a lot of times and make huge power. But you'll need a lot of gearing and a lot of torque converter--you won't have enough.

Take the $2,000 you would need for heads and you can find a nice 454 and bolt it right in. Chevy has that interchangability that Ford does not--same tranny, mounts and pretty much everything else will work.
or buy a junkyard 350 and find an old hy35 off a cummins and turbo that badboy! haha fun while it lasts!!! torque monster! lol youtube it... turbo 350

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals