• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 turbo or 3.8 SC

sirrealism

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. I have a 94 reg cab 2.3 5spd called the Turd. I am going to some big mods I own a shop so this is not out of my ability. My question is I found a 88 TC running "body shot" for 650$ So I was going to do the swap. On the other hand I have a 95 super Coupe with low miles 3.8 SC. 95 is the year to have in SCs. Body and Int is a little rough.
I know I can make both work and the SC has more HP and way more TQ 230 hp 330 TQ Bone stock. I also know how to add about 50 more to both numbers with no issues but the install is going to be much harder and my SC is an Auto.
The TC is a manual and I can keep my original trans

So the question is which way would you go??? Maybe a little poll?? Thanks in advance.

Cody L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I did a 2.3t in a 91 4x4. Not a bad swap at all and it was a riot to drive. Basically a bolt in, just needed some wiring, a good clutch, and a small modification to heater box.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You may have found a situation where I would say go with the 3.8, other than "to the scrap yard".

sirrealism

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. No matter what I wont scrap them. The SC is beat up but not rusty. I have even thought about putting the 3.8 in my SB full size instead of the very weak 4.6 it has now.
I do believe the 2.3 would be much simpler and many others have done it before which helps. I am a little older now and dont need the fasts truck on the rd like I did in the past. But I sure want more then I have now with the turd. Another thing I was thinking. A 94 ranger has almost no value. Maybe 1k but one with a turbo swap I would think that ups the value. Not that I would sell it or am looking to make money.

redhurricane

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You will never get the $$ out of it that you put into it- period. Knowing that, the 2.3 turbo can make fairly big power with not a lot of fab work, or money thrown at it. getting over 400hp you will find the next weak link, mainly the transmission. But if you are not a brute with it, the M5od will last. Speaking from personal experience.

cbr600rx7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford and Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 360ci, 5.0
Transmission
Manual
It's a old post but I will throw my 2 cents in.

The 3.8 is a torque monster and can make really good reliable power with only a few basic mods. The 2.3 turbo is clearly the more simple swap since it's badicly a direct bolt in. However I don't think the 3.8 SC would be that difficult if you have the hole parts car. Also I bet a 3.8 SC would be very fun in a small light ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals