• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oddity after 90 seconds/1 mile driving

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Okay, this is an 87, B2 with 2.9L

Other than fairly poor fuel economy (compared to my other B2s), this has been running reasonably well. I've suspected something is a bit off and I've dealt with some smaller issues and the occasional hiccup (like the shop overfilling the oil last month). Some other things I have let slide since.

One of those things is an oddity that occurs very consistently about a mile down the road toward town after having just started the engine. The speed limit is low so this is only a minute and a half after having started it. Always when I am passing the marina like there is some curse there.

What happens is that the engine loses power. If I push in the clutch it revs up fine, but under load it starts to miss. A lower gear helps but even then it still hesitates. Low gear and light touch on the gas seems best. If I push too much on the gas it gets worse.

Then 10 seconds after the problem starts, like someone flipping a switch, it goes away and runs. It coming out of this weirdness and returning to running normal doesn't require anything from me. I could be light on the gas making the best of it, or I could push the gas hard with it really coughing bad and *poof* everything is fine.

If not starting from a cold engine, this doesn't seem to happen.

So what could be going on here? Is it running open loop and then switching to closed loop? Then deciding it can't run closed loop and then switching back to open loop? I get no CEL, but I understand there is no CEL in the 87.

What would be the best thing to look at?

Thanks for any ideas on this one.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This sounds a lot like what happens when the oxygen sensor gets damaged. It won't show up as enough a problem to flip the light on, but the data it gives isn't good enough to run the engine.

Unplug the sensor and see if it runs any better.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Disconnected the sensor today before starting it. Did normal start and drive and got thru the cursed area without a hint of anything. It was on the warm side (80 deg) today and this normally is most pronounced when it is 70deg or cooler, but I still have observed some issue when warmer at that period in the drive.

Outside of that small window where it clearly was better, normal driving before and after it seemed a little worse, but hard to tell...It could just be perception so for practical matter it was more or less unchanged.

It started as it normally does. Normal driving seemed perhaps off a bit, but

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Changed the O2 sensor.

The issue has gone away. the low RPM power/torque has definitely improved. I find it less necessary to switch to lower gear and on steep hills I don't have to rev the RPMs as high.

It does seem a bit rougher just sitting at idle but no major surging. Pretty normal for my experiences with my two other B2s. If it doesn't turn into surging over the winter I think I will take the extra power and be happy.

Now..I wonder how this might effect fuel economy, guess I will know in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for the help.

scootr2200

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have been having some of the same issues with mine. After searching the forums I thought that my O2 sensor was given me trouble also.

I went under the truck to change the sensor and found that it has three wires running out of it, but one of them is just dangling (about 8" back from the connector on the truck side) and the other two run into the wire loom. I have searched for the other end of the wire but I'm unable to find the other side. I have searched for wiring diagrams but that hasn't helped me much. The wire that is dangling is on the left side of the connector, if holding it with the flat side down and looking at the exiting wires.

Does anybody know where the wires run to from the oxygen sensor?

Also, I unplugged the sensor and the truck did not run any different.

I'm having a lot power loss and slow revs after driving it a few miles. I can park the truck for a while and go back to it and it will run fine, until it drives a few miles and then the problems come back. I am leaning towards clogged cats (those are soon to come off) and I also believe that the dangling wire has something to due with my issues as well.

Thank you for any help!

Mickey

Last edited:

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
First just a follow up, after a few tanks of fuel it is clear my fuel economy has significantly improved. Last couple of fill-ups I recorded 21mpg with mixed highway and local driving. Given I have oversize tires P215 from the stock P185 the actual miles traveled is probably a couple percent higher than the odo indicates so it did a bit better than I computed. Factor in 5% energy content loss for 10% Ethanol in the fuel these days, it all s falling into the 22mpg range I experienced with my other BIIs.

Mickey, don't know how many look at the older threads for a different problem. Generally I can't answer too much, but I do happen to have full set of electrical diagrams for my 87 BII.

According to these, the O2 sensor has BLK/LG (black/light green) wire that goes to battery minus, a GY/Y (no idea what that is, maybe grey/yellow) that makes it way thru a fusible link to the ignition switch, and a third DG/P (not sure, dark green/pink) that makes its way to the Electronics Control Assembly which has a reference number of 29 (possibly pin number).

That info is out of the simplified diagram. There may be more to be found in the detailed diagrams but finding where the O2 sensor in that mess will take me more time than I have now.

It does seem however if you have a broken wire that it isn't using the sensor which is pretty much what mine was doing. Good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals