• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1990 2.9 Ranger running rough

jabird12000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Have 2.9 1990 ranger that is running very rough. Just replaced head gaskets again after 2 weeks ago replacing one head. Was losing coolant into the crankcase. replaced one head, truck was running perfect then overheated one morning, even though the tempature guage was not showing an over heating condition. Did a complession check and the #3 cylinder showed no compression. Changed the head gaskets again hoping I did not have a cracked head again. Adjusted the rocker arms while I was in there to try and quieten a noisy lifter. Got rid of the lifter noise.

Truck started just fine once it was back together but is running rough, but does not feel like it has a dead cylinder. Also noticed a lot of blowback coming from the oil fillier tube on the valve cover. Removed the oil fill cap and can feel air blowing out of the tube.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Whats the compression show now on all cylinders?
160-170psi is normal with throttle propped open and all spark plugs removed so starter can spin crank easily.

0psi compression doesn't sound like a blown head gasket, that's more like an open valve.
Head gasket blows because of the pressure and after it blows you just have less pressure but not 0psi.
Even a cracked head will have compression in that cylinder.

Normal test for compression is the 10% rule, so you average out the 6 compression numbers(V6 engine), say that number is 165, then all cylinders should be within 16.5psi of the others, 10%, so none lower than 150 and none higher than 180

Make sure you didn't tighten the rockers down too much, that can lower compression as lifters pump up from oil pressure

I would double check the firing order, then check it again, I have reverse wires numerous times and swore I would always double check them, and still reverse them to this day, lol.

Blow-by is normal and there is more as engine/rings get older, make sure PCV valve is clean and working, also there is a Vent tube that allows blow-by pressure to go into the air filter or air plenum, this needs to be clean and working.

Also there is a simple test for a head gasket leak, the Glove test.
Disable spark, you want a no start.
remove rad cap
remove and block overflow opening in rad cap seat.
Put latex glove over rad cap opening
Crank engine
if glove inflates you have a leak, gasket or head crack.

This is a short video that one of the members here made of this test.........he used something other than a glove :)
But it worked for this test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFGquUimXro&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals