• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help please

liljunkfixxer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
4x4 ranger shor
Engine Size
2.9L v6
Transmission
Automatic
I've a 87 short bed 4x4 ranger with the 2.9L. its been cutting off on me, it'll start and get me home, but it just keeps cutting off. I've replaced the coil, the sensor on the distributor and now i'm looking at changing the coolant temp sensor. anyone have any input that could help me link the problem. i really don't wanna have to pull the wiring harness. whats is the inline fuse sensor lookin things? could they be the cause?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The Ford TFI ignition can be a problem when it gets older.
Look at this page and print the worksheet:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.html

ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor won't cause stalling, except maybe at idle when engine is cold.

There are two things that can stall an engine, lack of spark and lack of fuel.
I would get a can of Starting Fluid(ether) and next time it stalls spray some into the intake and see if it starts.
If it does and then dies, fuel is the issue, dirty fuel filter, intermittent fuel pump relay or one of the fuel pumps, you should have 2.
The '87 might have a canister type fuel filter.

If engine doesn't fire with starting fluid then spark is the issue, use the work sheet don't skip any steps.

A just FYI, "new" doesn't mean "it works" anymore, "new" now means "never tested", to make products cheaper the quality control was moved to the consumer end, they added a warranty so will replace a defective "new" part, lol, I would rather pay a little more for a product that I know will work, but that's just me.

So never assume a "new" part works.
Best investment is a Volt/Ohm meter, test old part before replacing then test new part AT the parts store before buying :)

There are Fusible links on some power wires, also diodes, but no sensors.
A computer sensor can't kill the engine, make it run rough yes but not "kill" it, computer will revert to open loop operation if a sensor is giving it data that is out of it's range, like a limp mode to keep engine running.

There is one senor that can stop an engine from working but not sure the '87 2.9l used it, later years use it, it is the Crank Position(CKP) sensor, it is next to the the front crank pulley, this 2 wire sensor tells the computer the crank is turning so to start spark and fuel, if it is disconnected or bad, the computer doesn't know the engine is turning over, starter cranking the engine, so you have a no start.
These rarely fail in any case.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals