• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cracked head or bad gasket?

shadowofthewoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
I have an 89 ranger with a 2.9l. There is what appears to be oil in the radiator. Oil (cap and stick) seems fine. No obvious exhaust smoke. It goes through coolant rapidly. No obvious leaks. When drove for a long distance it gets hot. When I come up to a stop I lose oil pressure and she starts knocking. Acceleration picks the oil pressure back up, but still knocks. Is this all because of a cracked head or bad gasket? Do I have other possible problems? Is there a way to determine if its the head or a gasket without a bunch of disassembly?

shadowofthewoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
No opinions? Well what about a swap - 302, 351, diesel? Need a daily driver with 4x4 that can haul and pull a load. Something that will see very mild off roading and snow. No strips, but the occasional "put ya in my rearview". I realize that the 302 would probably be the fastest, cheapest, and most economical for the time being, but will it do everything I want and need? The 2.9 is gettin ready to blow, so I need some honest opinions.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry missed this.

There is an easy test to find out if you have a leak from a cylinder to the cooling system.

The Glove test
Engine cold
Disconnect coil, a no start is wanted
remove rad cap
Remove overflow hose and block that opening in rad
Place latex glove, or balloon, over rad cap opening seal it with rubber band or zip tie.

Turn over engine, watch glove
If it bounces or inflates you have a cylinder leak into cooling system.

If you want to find out which cylinder is leaking then remove 1 spark plug at a time, crank engine after removing, when glove stops bouncing then last spark plug removed was the cylinder with the leak.
Re-install it to confirm.

This won't tell you if its a head gasket or cracked head though, only removal and inspection can do that.

This member used another latex product to do the test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFGquUimXro&feature=youtu.be

Good video of leaking cylinder test

As far as a swap, the 4.0l would be the best option, the 2.9l and 4.0l used similar block so not many changes are needed, and you get the extra power without the extra cost.
But a V8 explorer swap can be good as well.
Good info here:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-engine-fuel.shtml

Last edited:

john93rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well the knock problem washed the bearing out from coolent
and take the head off to and look

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals