• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas usage

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
At 14.7 psi do you burn twice as much gas as you did n/a or does it work different than that?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had to google some stuff as it's been years since I looked at any of this, and I wasn't all that good in school either. 14.7 psi is atmospheric pressure at sea-level. If you add another 14.7 psi I would expect gas volume [mass] would have to double as well to keep stoichiometric air-fuel ratios. Funny enough, stoich is 15-1 for gasoline/air.

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had to google some stuff as it's been years since I looked at any of this, and I wasn't all that good in school either. 14.7 psi is atmospheric pressure at sea-level. If you add another 14.7 psi I would expect gas volume [mass] would have to double as well to keep stoichiometric air-fuel ratios. Funny enough, stoich is 15-1 for gasoline/air.
So to run 14.7 pounds of boost you would cut your gas milage in half, but i dont plan on going that high whenever i do get enough money to get what i want done.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So to run 14.7 pounds of boost you would cut your gas milage in half, but i dont plan on going that high whenever i do get enough money to get what i want done.

I don't believe your mileage will get cut in half, but you will use twice as much fuel at 14.7 psi boost. Your mileage is based on how much fuel you use to get from point A to point B. You would be getting from A to B really quick with that much boost, and probably a few tickets as well. At a realistic speed your mileage wouldn't change much. That's the beauty of turbo, it only kicks in when you need more horsepower/torque. Of course I should qualify my statements by saying I have no real world experience, just studied turbos a bit years ago.

Last edited:

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't believe your mileage will get cut in half, but you will use twice as much fuel at 14.7 psi boost. Your mileage is based on how much fuel you use to get from point A to point B. You would be getting from A to B really quick with that much boost, and probably a few tickets as well. At a realistic speed your mileage wouldn't change much. That's the beauty of turbo, it only kicks in when you need more horsepower/torque. Of course I should qualify my statements by saying I have no real world experience, just studied turbos a bit years ago.
I never thought of that, that makes it seem way more reasonable, but i think id still only go with about 5-7 to avoid all those tickets lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals