• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2008 2.3 ranger.

97fightingseebee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a 2008 ranger with the 2.3 dohc engine in it. I used to have a 97 with a 2.3 but compared to my new one, its a dinosaur. But i still dont know hardly anything about my new one. Is it a "duratech" or what? What are my options as far a extra power? Im limited to what i can find...

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2001 was the first year for the duratech (2000 was the last year for the Lima) so you have a duratech, unfortunately I don't know much about the duratech, and I don't of anyone who does (it's still a "new" engine).

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
its the same as the 2.3 duratec used in the escapes, focus, and a few others. any performance engine parts that fit those models should be fairly easy to adapt to a ranger. i belive there is a turbo kit for the foci, but you may have to do some exhaust work to get it to work right.

dont overlook simple things like an OBDII tuner, regearing the axles, and an underdrive pulley if they make them.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
How does the old lima motor stack up to your new ride? I'd like to hear someones opinion whos had both. As far as power goes, can you feel a huge differece in the seat or not so much?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ive driven both...the 30+ HP difference is very noticeable. the duratec also seems a lot smoother than the lima, especially at hgher revs.

97fightingseebee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 L4
Transmission
Manual
you have no idea man. i put a intake, ignition system, chip, exhaust, and re-geared the rear end on my 97. it aint got shit on this new one stock. it surprised the hell outta me. its a lot peppier too. i just dont like the clutch on the new one too much...

and i preciate the info on the focus part.. ve found alot of stuff. the main thing im interested in is a bigger throttle body. i found one for the focus but is it gonna fit and work?

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea i had a 95 and i loved it but it was really guttless in compairison.. it just feels like the duratec doesnt have to work nearly as hard to get movin.. u rarely have to lay into it more than a quarter throttle to get up to speed or even hold 80 mph on the freeway..
my good buddy bought the 95 off me and we goof off in em all the time.. we've raced a few times and by the time i slam second gear im a full truck length ahead..

both trucks were 5 speed manual, regular cab short bed, 2wd

snakebit95

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I recently purchased an 09 model, and took a brief look under the hood. The first thing that stuck-out at me was the belt-driven fan. Changing to an electric fan will pick-up a few ponies for sure. This is a pretty standard performance upgrade for the Mustangs and I did the same on my old F150 and could definitely feel the difference. It also picked-up maybe 1 MPG or so.

08RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the new trucks or at least my 08 have both a belt driven fan and an electric fan. I assume the electric driven fan is to help cool the engine during extreme temperatures with a/c use.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
ive never seen a ranger with a factory electric fan, are you 100% sure on this?

replacing the thermostatic clutch fan with an electric fan will not gain you any power or mileage...and it very well might cause cooling problems later down the road.

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
If the stock fan clutch is stuck, you'd see performance gains. :) Otherwise +1 what wick said.

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I also have a 2008 model that has both the electric and clutch fan.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
interesting. i might have to track down why for did that..

08RangerXLT and plum, do both of your trucks have A/C? if so, im willing the bet the electric fan is there solely to improve low speed a/c performance (134a sucks).

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 2007.. no electric fan

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals