• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 engine knockin

brandon15

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i got a 1999 ranger and i got it in some water and thought i hydro locked the motor which i still dont know but i had a knockin like a bent rod sound....so i ordered a motor off of everdrive and drop the motor in only to crank it up and still have a knockin....is there a chance the new motor was bad or could some in the tranny knock to where i thought it was the motor?

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
what kind of tranny are we talking about here? and did you reuse the old water pump? my water pump locked my motor up going down the road when the bearings went out, then i recranked the engine and it sounded like i had thrown 3 rods, id start looking there first if you didnt change the water pump. and if it was a busted tranny youd have shifting/driving issues.

brandon15

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the motor i bought had the water pump on their it has everything from oil pan to the intake manifold, only thing was the oil pan was a little damaged but didnt look real bad, do you think maybe the hose off the oil pump that picks the oil up would be make it knock like that?

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
not to be redundant but have you taken the belt off the waterpump and ran it for a few seconds (i repeat, only a few seconds as its only safe for about 15 seconds) to see if the engine was knocking and not the waterpump? if the oil pan was damaged i would have removed the pan and inspected everything, i mean you only would have had to have replaced a cheap gasket if everything was fine. then again if something wasnt you just found a problem that would keep you from asking questions as you are now, but its okay, you live you learn. a loose oil pickup tube making a knocking noise, i doubt it very seriously, i hate to say it but i think you may have bought a bad motor. the only way a loose pickup tube would make a knocking noise is if its rattling around and smacking the rods as they go down, and another thing you may look into just incase, take the oilpan off and make sure the rods arent smacking the dent in the oilpan. my old integra hit a pothole, bent the oilpan and stopped the engine, i pulled it from the hole and seen my oil pan was bent, started it up and the crank pushed the oilpan back into shape but made a lil scraping/slapping noise. i lived w/ it as i was going to pull the engine and make it a ricer/racer anyway at the time, but ended up selling it later as the timing belt jumped and skrewd the valvetrain. just minor food for thought.

brandon15

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i have not pulled the belt the sound it makes isnt a hard or loud knock its about the loudness as a lifter tappin... the engine has a 3 year warranty but i dont know if they are gonna void it since i put the motor in myself i have no paper work showin a real mechanic put it in....and i would take the pan off i just dont wanna pull motor back off the tranny again and i think you have to to get to the last 2 bolts....not sure though.....and plus they should have to pay me parts to fix this p.o.s they sent me

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
well id contact them and let them kno and let them make the call on whether they want to do their warranty thing or your stuck, if it is internal and you didnt do anything but install it and put fluids in it and run it then it is a warranty issue. if you did something to it or misadjusted something (very hard to do and ten to one says all you did was install it) then its your problem. first things first, call them and see what they say.

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
this could be the torque converter. it would knocks from about 800 to 3200 rps

brandon15

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
its a manual i dont have a torque converter

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
how did the finger springs look on the presure plate?

brandon15

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
they looked fine the clutch is about new it was replaced before i bought it, it appears.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how long did you let it run??? It sounds like a lifter??? maybe it is. let it run for a couple minutes and see if it goes away. My old 4.0 sat for like 5 months and when it started i thought it was going to blow up there was such a knock, i let it run and it went away after a couple of minutes.
Beef

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals