• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 v6 problems continue

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Then that would make sense then. (figured I was going CrAzY here)

Looks like that sensor is doing it's job then. Wonder what else could be causing the extreme hard starting then?

I'll have to dig some more into this.

Money just became extra tight. Did all the work on the wife's car, and at the suggestion of one of the guru's at a VW forum? Used GL-5 gear oil in the transaxle. Come to find out all it can ever use is GL-4, as the newer fluid eats the brass syncro's over a few weeks time.

I'm not having a good day...GL-4 isn't sold anywhere in my area--except the stealerships.

S-

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Been a while due to health nonsense and work. Had to put the truck on the back burner until things could be worked out:

Replaced the failing wiring harness. The old one had about a dozen splices due to the harness catching fire before I purchased the truck.

Replacement of the fuel injectors. Used a set from an F150 with a 300 I6. They where in excellent shape!! Solved a huge issue with pick up and the massive stumble the truck had when coming off the stop line.

Just as a goof-- I pulled one of the coolant sensors off a 89' ranger with a 2.9. (Same one I pulled the harness from---Planned on pulling the dash assy--but the cost was a bit on the high side)

Removed the harness and plugged in the coolant sensor and held it against the ground. Had the wife start the truck--fired right up. High idle....ran smooth....And settled down quite nicely.

Not sure what in the he&& was the issue--the stinker passed the tests I threw at it. I removed it from the intake and replaced it with the junkyard one. And of course the plastic snapped off during the install. :annoyed:

I pressed the two leads on the connector onto the matching one on the sensor. Let it cool off a bit and restarted it again. Flawless.

This only leaves the surge issue it's always had. With any luck the replacement sensor I just ordered in might just take care of that as well. I figure if the engine computer thought it wasn't quite cold...or warm enough? Maybe it couldn't nail that air/fuel ratio just right..... We'll see.

Just wanted to let everyone know that even the most elusive problems? Can be solved with patience and working things through.

S-

(Who in the heck put the sensor directly under the intake's air inlet? The old one snapped the plastic....and the junk yard replacement did the same thing! That angle really sucks to get a socket onto.)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals