• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Front right wheel is clunking and grinding!!!

COMETKID

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Okay guys I have a bit of an issue here. My front right tire is all of a sudden clunking and grinding. I drive it home from the gym and noticed that grease was all over the wheel. After taking the hub cap off I noticed the dust cap was half off. I open it all the way and everything looked in place; the cotter pin was still engaged ect. So i go to drive it to make sure it is okay when all of a sudden i start to hear a loud grinding noise! I don't know what to think so I turn around and all of a sudden it starts to make a clunking noise. I obviously can't drive it until it gets fixed. So can anyone PLEASEEEEE tell me WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY WHEEL?!?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Holy crap dude. You do NOT need to post the same topic in three places. It will not get you helped faster, it will get you flamed.

Anyway, odds are good the lack of grease cooked the bearing.

Take it all apart, check the bearings, and brakes, then replace the stuff you find damaged.

But you are right, stop driving it until you find and fix the problem. I saw a guy drive his truck about 40 miles after replacing the front bearings and forgetting the pack them in grease. Not pretty.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Holy crap dude. You do NOT need to post the same topic in three places. It will not get you helped faster, it will get you flamed.

Anyway, odds are good the lack of grease cooked the bearing.

Take it all apart, check the bearings, and brakes, then replace the stuff you find damaged.

But you are right, stop driving it until you find and fix the problem. I saw a guy drive his truck about 40 miles after replacing the front bearings and forgetting the pack them in grease. Not pretty.
Damn dude I just noticed that. I answered his post of same question a second ago.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I deleted the other two threads. As adsm08 said, don't make more than one thread per subject.

Richard

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I'm sure theres a few how to's online for replacement of inner and outer wheel bearings. Look into them, it's an easy repair. I'd do it for you if you were in San Diego or Phoenix. It would take an hour to replace your bad bearing, and the parts are cheap BUT thats if you stop trying to drive it. DO NOT ruin your spindle please.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals