• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Half Way Through Plugs and Wires Replacement Question

Hoofhearted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just finished the drivers side and it's taking longer than expected...that one closest to the radiator was a mini nightmare- especially since I'm nursing a torn UCL- not to mention crapel tunnel and arthritis...

At any rate, Is it ok for me to drive my truck around with three new plugs/wires, and leave the three remaining sets for another day?

It started up ok. Seems to purr along. Just wondering if driving with the three new sets along with the three old sets would somehow make the universe implode....hoping not.

Also, any chance some one could sling me a video link showing how to or advice on getting to the last three on the passenger side?

'02 4.0 v6

It seems to be all cramped up tighter than a clams butt after a three day nacho cheese binge- my wrist and shoulder feel about the same...lol

Thanks

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Do it. Finish tomorrow.

Get the last ones with swivels and extensions and such. Going through the wheel well helps sometimes.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Not a problem to drive it the way it is...the universe is safe...I've changed one plug on my 4 banger over the last year without causing any major damage to the realms...unless, of course, you want to blame the recent weather on my 4 banger with a wonky valve seal...even though it has been sitting in a scrap yard for 6 or 7 weeks and the weather has been worse since it hit the bone yard.

I've never worked on a V6...it might have the potential to seriously disrupt things more than my I-4 so don't take my word for it until you've heard from someone with more experience and extra-terrestrial contacts...or, at least, an extra testicle...there are a few three ball people on here from what I've read...

Cod liver oil might help your bodily problems...as long as you don't dwell on the fact that there are now many cod fish swimming around with no livers to filter out all the alcohol they drink...it worked for me many years ago when I was having joint problems...still can't roll a joint but I gave up pot smoking because of that...switched to alcohol since I had so many cod livers on my side...

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
You'll be fine running around with the job half done. Sorry, I can't offer any advice. Ive only taken out the rear plugs of each side to help me get clearance for something or other. :D

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is what you need to do the plugs with ease. Spark Plug Socket with a 12" extension that swivels.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
[/URL][/IMG]

Hoofhearted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This is what you need to do the plugs with ease. Spark Plug Socket with a 12" extension that swivels.
That's a nice looking piece- I'm assuming it's 1/2 inch drive?

Any idears where I can pick one of those up?

Hoofhearted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That's a nice looking piece- I'm assuming it's 1/2 inch drive?

Any idears where I can pick one of those up?
No pressure. I found this set on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWIVEL-MAGNETIC-SPARKPLUG-Sockets-with-built-in-EXTENSIONS-3-Piece-GEARWRENCH-/351123222068?hash=item51c0932e34&item=351123222068&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

It's a bit more than I'd like to spend, but I will if nothing else is available. I would probably only purchase the 1/2 drive too if I can find it separate.

Question though, is a "swivel" the same as a "universal" joint?

When I do a google search for <i>12" extension swivel</i>, it seems to bring up universal joints which I already own.

To be more precise, I'm confused whether it's the socket that swivels or the extension...

Can't say I've seen these hanging on the shelf at sears, menards, etc.

DISCLAIMER: The 3 piece set being sold on the Ebay link I provided above doesn't specify the size of the drive, unless I've missed it in the description, I wouldn't buy the product unless it is clarified before hand.

Last edited:

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry been away for a bit.. Got mine at Autozone its 3/8. Guy at the counter told me about it when I was getting new plugs and wires. He has a Ranger and he did his in like 45 min using it. I bought it like 10 years ago it was like 10 or 15 bucks.

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cod liver oil might help your bodily problems...as long as you don't dwell on the fact that there are now many cod fish swimming around with no livers to filter out all the alcohol they drink...it worked for me many years ago when I was having joint problems...still can't roll a joint but I gave up pot smoking because of that...switched to alcohol since I had so many cod livers on my side...
:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:It's really not fair to do that to someone who just took his first sip of his morning coffee. At least now I have a clean monitor.........

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals