• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possible flywheel or starter problem

84farmtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all! First post here. So of course it has to be a cry for help :bawling:

anywhoo, I jus got my '84 back from the shop, where the fuel pump was replaced and the carb rebuilt. Before I took it in, it had starting problems stemming from fuel supply issues (duh). Now that I've had it for two days, it's been getting progressively harder and harder to start, and I think I've narrowed it down to either the starter or the flywheel.

When I attempt to start the truck, I know there is power getting to the starter as it whirs and turns, but the endine will not turn over. I thought it was an issue with a chipped tooth on the flywheel, since yesterday I was able to roll it back a few inches and start it right up. However, now when I try to start it, I hear the solenoid click, the starter whir, and nothing. Got under the truck and checked the bolts on the starter to see whether it was coming loose and losing connection to the flywheel, and they're very tight. Looking at the flywheel thru the little slot next to the starter, it looks as though the outer edges of the teeth are somewhat rounded. This also seems to be a new thing, because the pars where it looks like metal has been removed are still shiny and rough. My question is this- how could a flywheel go from engaging the starter just fine, to completely not engaging? Or is there sonething else I'm missing? Would love to drive the truck to work tonight, but right now it's not looking like that's gonna happen :annoyed:

also, not sure if this is pertinent, but, when the starting was still rough (instead of just completely not happening) I bump started the truck just fine. Is that a sign that the flywheel is still good? is it possible for the teeth to be worn away on one side, making the starter motor useless, but intact on the other side, letting the motor and transmission do their jobs when running? thoroughly befuddled on this one, thanks for any help and input you may have.

edan

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It could be just the bendix that has worn out. It would also be helpful if you added some specs on the truck, what motor etc.

84farmtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The truck is a 1984 XL, 2.8L motor. Trans is 4+overdrive. How would I tell if the bendix was worn out? Based on sound? Just wanted to add, I rolled it forward a few feet and eased it into gear, turning the engine over slightly , then tried to start it. Brief moment of grinding sound, followed by the same smooth whirring. Now Im wondring whether the toothed wheel on the starter is not making a good connection, and every time I try to start it it just shears the tips off of the teeth on the flywheel where it meets the starter. a scary thought, definitely.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
There were a few posts a few years ago about the difference between the starters for the 2.8 with auto or manual transmissions. The bendix on the manual has one more tooth. If the auto starter is used on a truck with a manual it works for a while and then starts doing what you describe. May or not be relevent in your case. Don't remember what the tooth count is for the manual bendix but you might find it using the search on the site or perhaps someone on here remembers.

84farmtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks much for the help Martin. I've continued to drive the truck, bump starting it in 2nd whenever I need to get anywhere. Not ideal, obviously, but it's wrking for the time being. I know that has adverse affects, though, and will get a new starter as soon as possible.

Just a random thought, and there's no way to tell without removing the starter, but it seems like when I bounce the truck around a little bit, like driving over speed bumps, pot holes, etc, then try and start using the starter, it engages briefly, then goes back to no connection with the flywheel. Could it be that the spring holding tension on the back of the bendix is worn out? If so, it's a painful thought to have to pay $90 for a part when a $00.25 part of that part is all that's defective. Just thinking out loud, I know I should just get a new starter. Thanks much for the input, sir.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Inside the bendix is a morse clutch (it's like a one way bearing), They wear out eventually. The bendix used to be available for a few dollars and are not difficult to change.

84farmtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Fixed. Just bit the bullet and bought a starter. Entire job took under an hour, and it starts very easily now. Sure enough, when I pulled the old starter off, the teeth on the bendix were worn within 1/8 of an inch of flush. Thoroughly Gakked. Starts easily now, I'm good for at least 13 months!! (starte came with a 1 year warranty :D)

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Glad to hear you got it fixed, thanks for posting a conclusion rather than leaving everyone hanging.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals