• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lightning noob

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
No with only running 2 extra lights you should be fine alternator and battery wise. I run 6 - 8 on my stock alternator and it hasn't given up yet. (not reccomended BTW, i have a miracle truck)

To set em up and hook them up you need to mount them somewhere, many drill holes in the bumper and do it that way but there are other ways. then you have to set up the switch and wire them up.

You don't need a relay, unless you want to have the lights come on with high beams only or something.

But just simple... run a good wire from the battery through the firewall to the switch then from the switch to the lights and then make a few grounds for the lights near by or string wire to the negative battery terminal. and put a fuseable link close the the battery on the positive wire.

for a relay.. look in the tech library.

_Kyle_

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
If you don't run a relay, make sure the switch it rated to handle that kinda use. Best bet is to run a relay and use a fuse for safety purposes.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i always run a relay on my lights so that the puny 10amp switch isnt constantly handling the load. instead the switch turns on the 30amp relay and the current draws off from that. you run ground wires from your lights to the chassis, 1 ground wire from the chassis to the relay, 1 power wire from the battery side of the starter solenoid, 1 wire from the lights to the relay, and 1 wire to the switch. for the switch, i like to use illuminated ones, so 1 wire goes to ground, 1 wire from the realy goes to the switch, and 1 wire goes from a key on power source to the switch. dont forget to fuse your power wires! i know this way is more complicated, but ive always had good results (3-4 years of continuous worry free service) wiring lights this way.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
well with 2 55w lights and a 10amp switch it should be fine. thats only like 9 apms going through it but they are right a relay is way safer. you could always pick up a heavyduty switch from like napa or something.

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
well i think the switch can handle the... cause the guy whose selling them said everything has been working for years

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
well with 2 55w lights and a 10amp switch it should be fine. thats only like 9 apms going through it but they are right a relay is way safer. you could always pick up a heavyduty switch from like napa or something.
Actually when you first turn on the lights, the cold bulb filaments will draw 2-3× their normal current until they heat up. That's much more than what a 10A switch is designed to handle right at the crucial moment it's making the connection.
The 30A relay is definitely the way to go (plus you don't have near as much voltage loss from running long wires through the firewall into the cab and back out again).
Most relays will have a diagram on the package showing which terminal is what, but if you need any help, feel free to post any questions :icon_thumby:

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
well could i just get a 30amp switch? casue I'm really not interested in the whole relay thing

mc_muench

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
and is there something different with the wiring i have to do casue the switch has a on off light built in?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
nope you just have to add a ground to the switch. But a relay isn't too bad. You can always buy a relay kit from an auto stor like napa for about 20 bucks. Comes with the relay, wiring for the battery lights and switch, and a switch all pre assembled.

what your looking for? Pre done relay wiring.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals