• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 swap

1987 4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Me and my buddy are planning on swapping out the 2.9 5speed & transfer case out of his 88 ranger and swapping in his 302 from his old exploder with gt40 not gt40p and we plan on using the trans & transfer case & possibly the axils out of a 88 f150. We also plan on swapping it from efi to carbed

My questions were we were going to use mustang engine mounts will these work? And will the f150 axils work instead of ranger axils? Will we be able to use the ranger driveshafts still work or should we have the f150's cut down?

1987 4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Me & my buddy were talkin today and were thinkin about grabbing a pair of gt40p heads but the only problem I can see is the manifolds could we use the stock p manifolds or do we have to grab a set of headers for it? Help is really apreciated

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Grab the manifolds with the p heads...I'd be interested in the 40 heads if you won't use them...where you located? D-shafts depends on engine location. Axles will need fabwork. Tcase issues will arise...

SVT

1987 4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm just outside Pittsburgh pa but we might be trading the 40 for the p cause his friends building a fox body an couldn't afford the headers and already had ones that work for the 40 heads

We're planning on putting the 302 mounts were the 2.9s were. Is it worth swapping the axils (it's gonna be mostly a dd with some weekend off road use)? And what problems are there with fitting the t-case?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You can use the stang mounts if you want or fab up a set a plates and use the stock 2.9 lower mounts. What transmission are you looking to use? Good chance the t-case is a Borg Warner 1356. It's on the large side, you will have to notch the frame rail. Some use it some look for the smaller Np 208 or the smaller and stronger NP 205. You can almost bank on needing new driveshafts. As far as axles you have a Dana 28 front and 7.5 rear if all is stock. If you have the F 150 at your disposal use it. It's a crap shoot on what to do there. you could use a newer Ranger Dana 35 front and an 8.8 rear which is all pretty much a bolt in deal. The F 150 Dana 44 has a bigger ring and pinion but the axle joints are the same as the D35 and it's not as much as a bolt in. The 150 rear will be an 8.8 as well but not as bolt in as the ranger. Reguardless you will kill the D28 in short time if you abuse it.

Matt

1987 4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so we should leave the 150 axils find a newer set of ranger axils, use the foxbody mounts?,and find a NP205 or NP208(what are these found on), and the 150 trans will work with out cutting or anything? will the shifter be in the sam location or do i have to have the engine real close to the rad for it to be in stock location? And speaking of rads i heard/read that the explorer 4.0 rad is a direct drop in and it will cool the 302 fine, is this true?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals