• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Who plays a musical instrument?

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
Just thought it might be interesting to see how many musically inclined folks are on the forum. I started playing guitar when I was 9 and have been playing and performing regularly since I turned 16. I also play mandolin, bass and banjo. Music is a huge part of my life, and has provided me with a great deal of everything over the years. One of my great pleasures in life. So...who picks, plucks, blows or bangs on something musical? Let's hear about it even if you think you suck. The only thing that really matters is that you enjoy doing it. (Rangers are great vehicles for musicians by the way. I can fit anything I ever need to haul. Even my keyboard players Hammond organ sometimes.)

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
I pluck around on a tenor Uke, I find it very soothing.... and it puts my black lab Bert to sleep:icon_rofl:

Last edited:

petruccifan88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2007 & 2015
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 2wd & 2.7l EcoBoost FX4
Tire Size
31x10.5 and 33
My credo
When life gives ya lemons, ya blow them lemons to bits wit ya laser cannons!
been doodling at guitar since 2001, got serious in 2007. Lefty. Influences are: John Petrucci, Alex Lifeson, Jimi Hendrix. probably more.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
I used to be a bass player on the local club circuit. Started when I was 13 (not in the clubs, of course). No formal training, just a self taught hack, but I had a lot of fun with it, made several long term friends and rarely was without a band of some sort. Bass players seem to stay in demand. Not quite as cool as playing guitar, maybe.

Eventually all of my gear got sold off for this and that. I miss some of it quite a bit, but old wood like that needs to be played, not stuck in a closet.

Harley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5 in susp 2 in body
Tire Size
35 1250
drums here....played most of my lift untill recently...did the clubs and some original stuff....played most everything but im a rock guy for sure.....miss playing real bad.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Took up guitar at 58--been "playing at it" for 6 years--and suck, but it is good therapy when the Ranger is kicking my butt.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I started playing guitar and harmonica when I was in my teens and over the years added keyboard and flute, don't play any of them particularly well, but well enough to amuse myself. I used to play something almost every day as a way of relaxing after a stressful day of work but I don't play much now, don't work much either, lol. I find it disappointing that the kids today don't seem interested in learning to play instruments. The only thing they seem to want to play is their damned phone.

kid_crash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Guitar and harmonica here. Not very good with the guitar, fair at the harp.
Kind of a neat story to share about harmonics though. I play Lee Oscar harps, Lee Oscar was the harmonica player for the band War. I've always loved the harp playing in the song Lowrider by that band. So anyways, I'd bought a new harp from a store several hours from where I live and it turned out to have a bad reed. I call Lee Oscar customer support to see about getting a new reed plate. I get this super chill sounding dude on the line and he's all " aw man that's a real bummer" and such, so he says "Well, that's my name is on that harp and I stand behind my harps". He proceeded to send me a new reed plate and a bit of Lee Oscar swag. We shot the breeze for a few minutes. I always thought that was pretty cool.

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Woodwinds and keyboards here. Been playing since elementary school in an era when many of you hadn't been born yet....

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
I started playing bass guitar in 1967, a Fender. Got my first electric guitar when I turned 11 in '68. Been playing ever since. I have a decent collection now, mostly Fender, Martin and Gibson. I also build custom guitars on occasion, the crappy economy has cut that process way back.

Turbroke

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 EFI Turbo
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Never attribute to malice things that are better explained by stupidity.
I started playing bass guitar in 1967, a Fender. Got my first electric guitar when I turned 11 in '68. Been playing ever since. I have a decent collection now, mostly Fender, Martin and Gibson. I also build custom guitars on occasion, the crappy economy has cut that process way back.
I've been a professional musician for 30 years, and ran a luthierie shop since 1996. You ain't kidding about the crappy economy. Between that, and the way the internet has changed the way folks do things; both of those have been reduced to little more than enjoyable hobbies. I'm just glad I'm old enough to have caught the tail end of "the good old days." What great times. The world was so, so much more of a better place at one time.... It really makes my head spin when I consider how much things have changed in so short of an amount of time. Our generation was the last to see America as it used to be. I'd happily go back if I could.

ozzy85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
None
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
225/75/15
My credo
Yeah... still here.
Bass player since the late '80's... mostly jamming with friends, but have been in a handful of bands. My last band ended last year. Wish we made a clean recording of some of our tunes, we had about a dozen to 15 originals. I've fiddled around with keyboards some, too.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Got my grave diggin' shovel out and dug up an old thread.

I have been listening to music and working on a jigsaw puzzle all afternoon (picture of puzzle below). And my mind went to something I've thought about many times before, often in the weeks leading up to our trail rides. Who, in our group is musically inclined and plays an instrument, or several?

I grew up playing trumpet and trombone. But haven't played either in recent years. I have trouble learning guitar and piano, though I wish I could play both. My finger coordination just isn't oriented toward those instruments. I do have a hammer dulcimer that I started to learn to play. It's fun to do occasionally, but wish I had a few good friends to jam with, which would give me more incentive to practice regularly.

I've been mildly surprised that nobody has broken out a guitar around the campfire during our get-togethers. Only mildly surprised because we are usually cooking and eating dinner kind of late and sometimes working on vehicles. Of course, space to pack such things os often limited, also. But guitar players usually find a way.

So, who do we have here? Anyone? Who would be interested in participating in campfire music? Guitars, dulcimer, banjos, harmonicas, spoons, small drums and other rhythm instruments, other ideas?

Just an ordinary blank jigsaw puzzle. Yes. All plain white pieces. No picture. No pattern. And sold with one piece missing.
20231226_175400.jpg

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I learned to play several instruments but it's been so long, i doubt I could play any of them well now. You don't use it, you lose it. I played up right and electric bass and clarinet. I briefly was learning guitar and saxophone and play a Eastern European version of a guitar called a Brac but was switched over to up right base while I was in Tamburitzans.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals