• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Aluminum vs. Fiberglass

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't want to start a flame-war here, but I'm genuinely curious as to the pro's & cons of both. I've only had aluminum, but I might be looking into a fiberglass top (should the opportunity arise), and I wanted to get some of y'alls' (<---Texas word) opinions.

From what I know about aluminum tops, they can potentially last forever so long as you keep them happy with sealant around the screws regularly, and you have one with limited moving parts (ie - swivel window mechanisms can be difficult to track-down). There's plenty of room in there to put up insulation between the support rails, and they're nice & light, but they're a noisy ride.

I can only guess, but I would think that fiberglass campers are prone to cracks, is that so? I certainly wouldn't know how to go about insulating one. How well do they retain their window seals?

Just trying to get some idea since I may be interested in trading off my aluminum camper top for a fiberglass unit, but not sure just yet. :icon_confused:

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
the fiberglass shells lasts long. i have one that's probably 18 years old. i've seen one going bad, the fiberglass starts delaminating (dont know the word) and starts to fill up with water. i wanted to insulate mine, but it's kinda hard to figure out. i tought about shooting polyeurethane, but what a mess it would be... i've had no better ideas, so i leave it alone. If i came across an aluminium shell, i'd jump on it, but it's pretty rare around here.

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know about the problem they had about filling full of water, so I may just have to hang on to my aluminum top until I can find a better one (or parts for this one).

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Fiberglas doesn't sweat as bad as aluminum or steel [ I had a steel caravan camper once ] , fiberglas doesn't dent very easy.

My $.02

just curious, why would you want to insulate a camper shell?:icon_confused:

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fiberglas doesn't sweat as bad as aluminum or steel [ I had a steel caravan camper once ] , fiberglas doesn't dent very easy.

My $.02

just curious, why would you want to insulate a camper shell?:icon_confused:
You're right that I forgot about the condensation that a metal shell creates. Insulation in the roof is good for keeping the heat in. Here in Texas, people start to say that it's real cold around 40°, and while I've survived worse, I still tend to agree that 40 is pretty dang cold when you're sleeping in a camper-top. It's cold nights like that that make you want to preserve all the warmth you can, and park where the morning sun can get to you early, otherwise you'll be tempted to stay in your double-blanket cocoon all day. When the sun starts warming that aluminum top up, you'ld here it pop from the heat expansion too. In my old F150 I had curtains hung up, but no insulation. I did notice that it had a sort of drip-rail where condensation would drain off in the corners, and down into the window ledge - I've got to be sure to choose insulation material wisely to avoid having a stinky camper.

Off-topic, but YAY! I found the part to the side window I need! ...now if I could only get rid of that stupid double lock-handle rear door. :annoyed:

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Congrats... post it up after clean up and installation..:icon_cheers:

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
got one that came with my "new to me" 86 Supercab. It is aluminum, but, it has a fiberglass top. :icon_confused:

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Ruffinit

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996, 2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.3 Duratec
Transmission
Manual
I like the utility of aluminum. I picked mine up used and only use it in the winter or when I want to go camping. Even then if it gets real bad outside I can put a folding cot in the truck and sleep in there. The thing I like most about the aluminum toppers is that I can take it off an put it on by myself. I don't like having it on all the time. I have a supercab stepside (Splash). I can get parts for it from numerous sources including UniCover, Swiss and Jason. I recently replaced the T handle on the back and they quoted me $225 to re-sheet the top. You can't do that with the fiberglass stuff.

Last edited:

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for providing some names to research. Swiss was the only one on that list that I'd actually found for myself, and I'm sure they will prove to be quite useful in the future. Apparently, I've found your posts helpful before since the boards won't let me add Rep. to your profile again, but seeings how you were helpful & all I got you this instead :beer: :icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I had an aluminum one on my truck from 1988 until 2005. The only problems it had were some broken glass and plastic handles.

My dad had a fiberglass one made for his 97 F-150 that always felt sturdier, but was so much heavier.

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Having zero experience with fiberglass shells, I never thought about how much they might weigh. I'd assume that thinner/lighter/cheaper 'glass tops are available, but prone to the cracking I've heard rumored. I bet your dad had a pretty nice camper.

:3gears:

It occurred to me today (while it was ~85° & sunny), another reason to insulate the roof of an aluminum camper is because sitting out in the sun can get the roof scalding HOT! Not only could it burn you if you touch it, but it turns the inside of the camper into an oven that can stay too hot to sleep under well into the night if left parked out in the sun.

I don't remember exactly where, but I read someplace that some people have gotten pretty good results by using the reflective windshield sun-deflector material foil-taped between the roof braces. Not that I remember all of the specifics, but I'm pretty sure that those are either made of bubble-wrap or styrofoam, or maybe both, and layered about an inch thick before they're foil-taped between the rafters and then it all gets paneled. Where I've seen other folks have used that thin interior wood paneling, I intend to give some of that plastic paneling for RV's a try in hopes of keeping everything in there better resistant to the condensation the aluminum tends to accumulate. ...though still a long way off.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
I recently got a Swiss Wedge Aluminum topper for my truck. Other than the roof seams needing re-sealed (fixed with <$10 of silicone caulk), it's been good.

My dad used to have trucks with AL toppers back in the day... the first two were before I was born; they were a green Ford F150 of unknown year (sold in '81 when the Air Force sent him to England) and a 1979 (IIRC) yellow chevy scottsdale (which was a turd from what I've been told). He (and my mom) then bought a brand new red 1987 Chevy Custom Deluxe 10, which had an AL topper all it's life... other than the window screens going to hell, it lasted longer than the truck itself (it rusted to death in early 2008).

To be fair, he (and I) are bicycle nuts, who find the framework of AL toppers to be nice for bungee cording bikes. Off topic- the bike thing is also why we "have" to have long beds too, as tandems won't fit in a shortie (his bike for 3 will only fit in an 8ft long full size bed or in a mini van between the front seats).

Anyway, here's a few pics of my setup, which I took on the way home from buying the topper:

(I've since repainted those ugly rusty wiper arms :D )

I paid $395 installed for it from a truck accessory place in Dayton OH. Found in on CL of all places... before I found it I didn't know that anybody made a high top AL shell.

Like:

-No more risk of things getting soaked in rain storms (laptop bags, etc.)
-back of truck is somewhat secure (I don't have to move things up front for theft prevention)
-High enough I can sit in the back and not bash my head

Dislike:

-Lost 2MPG (although my evap purge valve stuck open around the same time and just today I finally got to fixing it)
-roof mounted CB antenna is a tad harder to remove (I have to exit the vehicle now, lol)
-No more cargo lights (although I may design and make some nice LED ones as a project; I'm an electrical engineer by trade)

As for the noise during rain/while driving, it doesn't bother me. If anything it soothes me, as the noises remind me of my dad's old red chevy, which I have fond childhood memories of (the busted radio and tailgate of said chevy, not so much).

I know, long post, but there's my $0.02.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've had both aluminum and fiberglass on my '98. The aluminum shell always seemed to get hot like an oven, but was much lighter than the fiberglass one I have now. I currently have a high top Pilgrim Canopy shell, and while its about 15-20 lbs heavier than the aluminum one( I attribute the extra weight to the high top), it seems to stay much cooler than the aluminum one. Mine has VERY light cracks, nothing deep or structural, mostly just cracks through the paint. No leaks or anything through the cracks either. I like the fiberglass top better than the aluminum one. I used the aluminum shell for work and tool security but I also camped in it. For tool security, it was great. Camping not so much, like I said before, it got way too hot, was drafty, and since it was still metal, had leaks all over the place. I've since moved on, and I camp in the fiberglass shell. I think the fiberglass shell is a better all around alternative. Much better insulation, not drafty, and it feels more solid. I think the aluminum shells are great for low cost solutions and work truck stuff. Having owned both, I'd never go back to aluminum. Just my .02.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals