• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Automatic Transmission questions...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I am looking into an automatic transmission for my Ranger that has a 2.5 from a 98 using wiring and dash from a 96.

A junkyard near me says they have two on hand...a 97 and a 96...I advised them of my needs (computer, shift box, transmission, and possibly drive shaft) and they said they had two complete vehicles.

They could not tell me what transmissions are in them, but from what I've read the 96 (A4ld and something with plenty of 4's in the name) had two possibles and the 97 had one (the one with three 5's)...

I could be wrong but nothing new there...so...questions...

What is the best one for reliability (not sure of mileage on either)?

What is involved with the shift box transplant? Can they be mounted on the floor where the old manual shifters were (my truck originally had a 2.9 with a floor shift auto)

If not floor mounted, is it just a trim-like piece that goes behind the steering wheel or is there more to it than that...I have yet to see any linkage operated auto transmissions in these years...but I've never even looked at one for that reason...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Tried using the on-line repair manual but it did not have any information on the automatic shift mechanism. I know it is electronic so there won't be any linkage, but does anyone know if this is a separate wiring harness?

I am not going up to the yard until next week some time...so trying to figure this out in my head before attacking it...and what I need to take with the transmission...

Harmonic balancer on the front somewere?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have no help for you, I'm posting so I can find this thread in the future. Bast of luck,

Richard

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
No problem...I did find some information...

There is a shift kit that can be purchased for a mere $300 or so...or at least there was according to one search result. It was for an Explorer but it works for all Ford vehicles with minor adjustments.

I was thinking that the shift on the column might be just an electric selector switch but it appears there is column shift tube. If you search on replacing Ford Shift Tube there are quite a few videos...the shift kit came from a mustang site for the same search...or did I modify it...hmmmm...

Yes, I modified the search and was shooting for Ford Column Shift Conversion...

I need to keep looking because I'm sure it can be done without buying a shift kit...but may actually require that I go with an older transmission...which I really don't want to do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals