• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

PlumCrazy's Build

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Nice, but the M90 would have been a better lung. Good news is you wont be running much boost with that, not enough to worry about intercooling. The 19 pound squirters should be enough, too. How you planning to tune it?

SVT

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The motor was built with bigger boost in mind. I'll probably run the 62 for a year or two...then try a smaller pulley. IATs will skyrocket, and I'll try to intercool it, then I'll go M90.

I have 30lbers and an Aeromotive 1:1 adjustable reg....and it will be tuned an SCT X3

Sent from XT1030 using Crapatalk

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Heads shipped out yesterday, so hopefully I see them next week. I bolted up the pan and timing cover, torqued all the girdle bolts down, popped the new lifters in, and dumped some oil in the pan.

I am in need of an oil pump drive shaft if anyone has an extra..... I went to prime the pump and realized I don't have the shaft anymore......

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Not a whole lot going on...

Pushed the 8.8 under the truck...

Pushed the motor into the engine bay....

Bolted up the 39.5s just so it looked a little better...even it has no drivetrain.lol

Should be picking up the heads tonight...long story...going round and round with the sender and UPS about COD and delivery times...finally settled on driving to the LC to pick them up.

Last edited:

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
They are finally done and here!

I still need to pull the springs and headers off of the old heads, then it will be time to sling paint and bolt them up. Hoping to have this thing running by the end of Aug. I may just weld perches to the Expo 8.8 and run the 3.73s so I can drive this animal around the block.

Lots of bowl work and smoothed out the intake runners as well as ported the exhaust side a bit

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I had planned on having the motor in the truck this weekend and fired up for the first time....but looks like more time and $$$$ is required.

I planned to pull the push rods, rockers, and valve springs out of my 95 motor..I was disappointed to find that my Delta Cam "hardened" rockers are toast...only about 30K on them and they are worse than any 200K set I have seen....

So now I am contacting Delta. I expect to get no response or a poor one if I do get one. I have had them for a few years, but like I said...less than 30K....most likely going to buy new Sealed Power replacements since they are new castings and have fantastic reviews in the small built 4.0 OHV community.lol....soo more $$$$

I pulled the clutch off the old motor as well...Its not trash, but it shows more wear than I expected and I don't want to put it behind a fresh build...so more $$$$ there. I will go with the same Luk Pro Gold again though, it has been through hell for 40K+

I was inspecting the heads after I painted them so they could be installed...when I noticed a few of the valve seals are not seated all the way or even straight for that matter... No big deal since I need to swap out the valve springs and retainers anyway. This is when I found the bigger issue. The first valve I removed the hardware from slid nice a free in the guide, but the second had a rough spot..
I found a few burrs on the stem right where the seal rides. This will destroy the seal in no time flat. So I ran through all the possibilities in my head about what I had done. This is when I began looking closer at the other head (which I have not removed any hardware from) and I can see a few valves with similar damage to the stems

Now I am thinking about going SS valves and bronze guides since the valves are garbage IMO anyway...so more $$$$

At least the P&P looks good!

I did a little measuring on the springs while everything was apart. Strength appears to to be similar to stock, but they are a larger wire diameter and have one less coil as well as an additional flat coul spring inside. This allows them to go solid at 1" vs the OEM 1.140". They are a little easier on the valves than the 988 Comp springs that most run with the 422 cam (which require machining of the heads). I also found the retainers are shaved down ~.020" to allow for more valve travel.

OEM on the left, my 422 setup on the right

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good to see you are still making progress. Sure does end up costing a lot to make power though. Can see why so many just go 350 chevy where everything is a no brainer and cheap.

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bummer on the hold-ups.. Trucks looking good though. I also want to put my big tires on even though it's not ready either. It sits outside though so I'll just keep em safe in the building for now lol

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
As expected...no response from Delta. Morana is going to make it right and was very apologetic. I am going to go ahead and upgrade to one piece SS valves before I install the heads...I also made the decision to go big on the clutch, Centerforce dual friction will be my replacement for the Luk. Rockers are will be Sealed Power. Heading out to Carlisle tomorrow for the weekend, so Im sure Ill spend more of my fun money than expected.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
No real progress on this truck. back to working stupid amounts of OT, but I have managed to gather up some more parts to hopefully finish the motor soon.

Brand new rockers, these things appear to be a little heavier duty. I plan to drill and tap then plug the oil escape hole on the push rod socket. I have had a few builders recommend trying it to keep oil in the socket longer.

SI one piece Stainless valves showed up.

New harmonic balancer.

(Photo bombed by the Dingo...)

Then...once its together and running maybe I will start adding some tooob to this rig.

FrankBoss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I always enjoy fallowing this thread. Thanks for sharing
FrankBoss

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
No real progress. I still need to drop the heads off to have the new valves put in and lapped.

I did pick up a 16' trailer a week or so ago and I have been balls deep into the rebuild...

Ill post up some pictures when its further along. So when the Ranger is wheelable it will be a little easier to just load up and roll out, no more borrowing a damn trailer all the time.lol

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
As promised...

Here is the turd I drug home, fenders were rotted out, belts broke in multiple tries, rims looked crusty, lights kind of worked, wood was pretty warped and rotted, PO never used the brakes, and it only had them on one axle anyway.

So I stripped the wood off, cut the rooted fenders off, bought 14 ga diamond plate shells, added inner fenders, plated and reinforced them, removed all the original lights and brackets, upgraded to all LEDs and add markers at the corners and fenders, stripped and sanded the whole frame, added a chain/tool compartment, sprayed it down with Penetrol to seal it and then hit it with primer and a heavy coat of black.

Also added jacks to the rear corners to keep the tail from "diving" when loading. I tend to not use ramps with the Ranger, and the ramps for this trailer done have the "stands" built in.

chain storage

New wheels.

Put all but one board on last night (it needs ripped to fit) and then the Dingo let me know it was late and he wanted to go home.

Tonight I am hoping to get the bearings repacked and add brakes to the front axle.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
That is one hell of a rehab. Nice work. What did the trailer set you back in turd form?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals