• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Interior lights

jgr1974

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I have a short somewhere. Battery kept draining changed alternator and battery. After i started stripping interior, I replaced dome light and it would not turn off when dore was closed. Backed out the screws and removed after another dead battery. Next morning dead again. Charged once more and then removed battery cable. Next morning after replacing cable all was well. When driving that morning recognized the rear brake light bukb and glove box light remained lit. I am still taking neg cable off battery but don't want to make this a habit. would also like to rebuild the interior and keep the lights, so what do I need to do?:sad:

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Pull the fuse instead of disconnecting the battery. Check your circuit interupters in the doors. They break the connection in the GROUND wire for the interior lights. May have one faulty and not breaking the connection. Check your light switch for interior illumination and see if it may be turned on. First two places I'd check.

jimimeg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Electrical Gremlin

I have a similar situation as JGR1974. Here's the details

93 Ford ranger 2.8 L 4 Cyl

Got it.
Drove it at night and the lights cut out. Wiggled the headlight switch a LOT and they came back on. I THINK the wiggling is what made them come back on. Once when they went off I tried wiggling the Multifunction switch (bright/turns/wipers) a LOT and it didn't seem to help.

So I changed the headlight switch. Everything seemed ok.

Then when i would use the lights at night after starting it the belt would squeal a bunch and the volt meter on the dash would drop below 12v. This would go for a minute or so, until it seemed to warm up, and then the voltage would come up and the belt would stop squealing.

Then coming home last night (here's the good part) the check engine light comes on. In the morning it won't start ! So I pop the hood and there is power steering fluid (I think) coming out of the hole in the cap and hitting the hood. This IS a new problem. Can't really see how it's related though!

So, here's what I've checked.

I push started it and checked the voltage at the battery: 14.4 seems good.

Checked the dome light (for the first time as the bulb was not in it) and discovered voltage to it at all time. Engine on or off, door open or closed, headlight switch dome control on or off.

Noticed when I would have squeally belt that hitting the brakes would make the voltage drop occur also. So i checked the brake light voltage. It's ok when I hit the pedal (14.4) But when my foot is off the pedal and the lights are off it would read .03 volts to the bulb. the reverse and turn signal bulbs both read 0.00.

So, what's the deal? A short somewhere? Probably, but where do i begin to look?
I don't have a glovebox light!
Change the multifunction switch anyways?
Brake light switch?
Short up in the ceiling?

Thanks in advance for any help
Jimi

jimimeg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Solenoid is ok

So, i replaced them fender mounted relay and it didn't help !

Anybody?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals