• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine swap clarification needed (1995 2.3 to 1999 that had a 2.5)

hboutlaw77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am swapping the engine from my 1999 Ranger that had a 2.5L with 5-speed transmission. I'm using an engine (2.3L) and 5-speed transmission from a 1995 Ranger.
I believe we will have to use the 2.3 wiring harness, confirm if you can?
The clarification I need is will I have to change the motor mounts and will I need to use the driveshaft from the 1995?
What I've read is that the 2.5 is simply the 2.3 stroked and if that's the case the external dimensions should be the same.
If someone could clarify these questions I sure would appreciate it.
If you have any other advice that would also be helpful. Starting the project today which is why I posted in this thread. If inappropriate, just let me know and I'll post in the correct location. Thanks

hboutlaw77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just an update: motor mounts and drive shaft worked out fine.
Many other problems or challenges though. Was hoping this forum would be helpful but I guess I'm being educated like everyone else...trial and error.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Drop a hint about the other changes needed.

pre-1998 had different fuel system than 1998 and later

hboutlaw77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
motor mounts had to be swapped
intake manifold and fuel rail was swapped
Did not swap out the engine harness but now having second thoughts since I'm chasing a problem where the engine started, ran for about 5 minutes...got my hopes up and then died and hasn't started since.
At this point I feel like I'm chasing my tail.
Before starting this swap we read a lot to make sure we had a good idea of what we were getting into. It may be 'simple' but at this point it feels overwhelming.

In addition we used the 5speed transmission from the 95 that had a new clutch in it (our 5speed was hurt). We changed the clutch slave cylinder, bled it and installed everything. Cannot get the clutch pedal to engage the clutch...it's hard like the brake. Bleeding the cylinder does drop the pedal as expected. So we are chancing 2 rather difficult issues and need the vehicle back on the road. Looks like I have to take it to a mechanic.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals