• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I Buy This 2003 4.0 Ranger?

YOHO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey all! Quick post. Do you think this Ranger is worth it? I'm really leaning towards no. Honest answer is fine!

I've had my uncles Ranger for the past two years. I graduated college and have been looking for a job for a number of months. Fortunately I"m in the interview process! Long story short, I need a relatively cheap car, soon.

I can across a Ranger with a thermostat leak, and therefore they are selling the car cheap. It's a 4.0 SOHC 2003 Automatic Ranger (link below) w/ 102k miles for $1500, but has a salvage title. Probably get the price down to 1k. Car is 20 mins away so would need to tow.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5880254755.html

I'm hoping you can help me out to see if it might be worth buying the car. I have a few questions. Thanks

1. Would you buy this car? Basically curious how big of a risk you think it is?

Normally I wouldn't even think of buying a car without being able to drive it and having a salvage title (the airbags are still original). I'm leaning towards not dealing with it (but I haven't seen the car yet) as there could be other problems without test driving it. I think it could be a good deal, but am just worried it will be a hassle and more could be wrong such as over heating. They said some of the spark plug wires were cracked. I'm assuming maybe the truck wasn't taken that good care of. I would also need to fix and then smog it. To me this all sounds like a bit of a risk, but wanted to ask someone else's opinion. 102k miles isn't too bad but there could be other problems...such as dealing with smog...

If so:

2. What should I look for when I see the car? I'm thinking:

a. Check oil/oil cap for sludge or any buildup or metal particles
b. Check the trans fluid color and appearance.
c. Check brake fluid
d. Hopefully do a compression test
e. Hopefully pressure test the cooling system
check wires/plugs
f. Run the car briefly and listen to the engine
g. Engage the transmission in and out of neutral and reverse to listen for clunks
h. Possibly check diff fluid
i. Check tires
j. Check body panel alignment
k. Rent a scanner and read codes (check engine light on..assumed from coolant leak at thermostat which has sensors)

3. Any other common problems with this engine/year that you know of or to look for?

I have a bit of mechanic experience taking auto shop in high school, so I think I could perform the repair no problem. If I did repair it, I would change all of the fluids, and do a regular tuneup and such.

Hopefully yall can offer advise.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
If you don't need a truck to work out of, I would advise a used car. If you still want a truck as a commuter get a 2.3 and a 5spd auto.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Dude...

Run like hell from this.

Here are the reasons... just a few anyways.
Salvage title. Why does it have a salvage title? what totalled it? In addition to having a salvage title, you are going to have to tow it home to work on it.

Speaking of working on... California has emissions (as you are well aware) and that means the check engine light must be "off" before you can even get it licensed and road legal. This truck is not running right, and the person putting up the add for his wife's sisters truck has no clue, and to be honest with you reading that post made my head hurt...Plus California is one of hte least friendly state for car enthusiasts...way too many laws and regulations on vehicles. And you are probably going to drop several hundred dollars in parts on this thing to get it running right.

You are starting a new job. you do *not* want to have your dependability/ reliability to getting to work on time tied to a truck that has this many problems... I wholeheartedly agree with Andy D on the using a car to commute. If your new job *does* require you to have a truck, I would get a reliable running vehicle, maybe even offer to buy the one you are driving now off of your uncle.

Bottom line, that truck with its salvage title, drivability/ running issues, California laws and regulations, and being 14 years old is worth $500 tops.

AJ

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^

Don't get it
2001-2004 Ranger 4.0l SOHC engines had timing chain problem which requires engine to be pulled out to repair it

Salvaged title is a can of worms you do not want to open

Keep looking :)

You will find something better

Yes, look for a high mile "driver" car to get to and from "new job", good luck on the interviews.

Once you have a few dollars in the bank find that Ranger you like

Last edited:

YOHO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey thanks all! I decided to pass. More I thought about it, and reading your posts its definitely not worth the hassle.

Sorry for the headache.

Thanks all!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals