• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transmission failing or bigger issue?

omegatotal

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So my stock 95 Ranger 2.3 5spd is giving me some ticking/clicking sound that can be felt through the transmission shifter, only when under more than light load, and it matches engine rpm. This just started this morning leaving work. It makes sound and can be felt in any gear, under load, but not at idle or when the clutch is pushed in(in gear or not), and seems to only show it self after the truck starts to warm up(after 1 test drive).

Is it a transmission issue? or possibly early signs of engine main/rod bearing failure? The reason I think its the latter is that it seems to more accurately match engine speed under load as opposed to transmission shaft input speed (put into higher gear and let clutch slip a little bit and it follows engine rpm more from what I can tell) and I can hear a slight bit of what sounds like rod knock occasionally at idle.

Unfortunately cant tell if its rod knock while driving or otherwise as the exhaust is a bit too loud and I don't have a cheap/free fix for making that quieter(couple of small leaks and old muffler).

Trying not to go buy a used trans and waste the money when I might need the money for a replacement vehicle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals